Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
I suppose you could get a scale of some sort to set the catch bottle on then zero/tare the scale. Or weigh the collection bottle before and after milking each animal. That way you could get a weight after each milking. Subtraction should get you approximate weights.

Wehner Homestead

Herd Master
Reaction score
I suppose you could get a scale of some sort to set the catch bottle on then zero/tare the scale. Or weigh the collection bottle before and after milking each animal. That way you could get a weight after each milking. Subtraction should get you approximate weights.

That’s a thought but each one would have to be milked individually. We are looking at a dual milker (for two goats) with the capacity to do four if we choose to move to that.

Goat math has happened quickly and with talk of adding animals next year...I’m wondering how quickly we will need to truly explore dairy status.

I really want the measurements to monitor each goat. I feel like that’s a first-line defense in their well-being. It also helps for record keeping purposes.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
The only way to get accurate ( or "close enough for government work" ) milk weights is to weigh it physically or for it to go through an approved "meter". I do one farm that we weigh the bucket and zero the scale with the bucket on it so that any weight will be strictly milk weight...The tare weight idea as put forth above. I have a couple of farms that have permanent weigh jars in the parlour that the milk passes through on it's way into the pipeline. They have measurements on the side that tells the "weight" of the milk in the jar; all the milk from that animal is collected in the jar and I "read" the weight, then let it out into the pipeling through the bottom valve.
There are electronic sensors that are tied into the take off system for the milking claw. It is based on milk flow, and will "weigh" the milk that passes from the milking claw through the hose, through the sensor and will have a digital readout. The more sophisticated ones will also monitor the viscosity of the milk and indicate "abnormal milk" which is an indication of mastitis.
Then there is the "milk meter" that I use on farms that do not have their own system. The milk comes from the claw through the hose and goes through my meter before continuing on to the pipeline.
I am not sure exactly how the registered dairy goat farms do theirs. SBC GW and ONE FINE ACRE all have purebreds and I think are all testing for records. They are the ones to give you answers. The one year I did a dairy goat herd on test, we weighed the individual goats milk on a hanging scale. They were not registered, only wanted the weight for their own use, and I had the hanging scale checked for accuracy.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
If you're going to be milking multiples, then set the vacuum lines up so that each goat's milk goes into it's own jar. When milking is done, weight each jar to determine total weights. I mean the meter would be the fastest/easiest/most expensive. There are other weighs (get it?) it can be done, but a bit more work.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
I just bought a milk meter for the dairy, but only one. It was 250.00. I will just rotate the goats through that spot as I don't need to check it everyday as I am just doing it to decide who to keep...

Wehner Homestead

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thanks for the input y’all! I’ll pass it along to the “boss.” (He’s more mechanically inclined anyway.) I like LS’ idea of “rigging” it for separate jars. I’m a stickler for data of these sorts...

Edited to add: I’ll still hand milk on occasion as I want them to be used to both and I want to maintain a decent orifice size and a handmilking sized teat. Building my herd for a sustained, reliable, and safe supply for DD2 is first and foremost. Any other ventures come second.