mysunwolf - four acres and some sheep

mysunwolf

Herd Master
Reaction score
would you sell some sheep to me??? We have been wanting sheep!!
Do you want dairy sheep mutts? They are East Friesian, Clun Forest, a bit of Zwartbles and Tunis and some other things sprinkled in. The only problem may be that our house buyers have considered purchasing the sheep with the house ;)

TAH

Herd Master
Reaction score
Stopping by for the random yearly update. Y'all, I have gotten into vet school! I start this fall. We are selling our animals (mostly to auction) and our farm and our house (conveniently selling by owner to our next door neighbors who have yet to build a house on their land!) and moving closer to school. I have actually gotten a veterinary assisting job at a small animal practice, and it's close to the oldest's school (he's 4 so technically it's preschool). Youngest is in daycare but will be joining the oldest in his school this fall as well. We are currently commuting 1.5hrs for his school, 1.5hrs for my work, 1.5hrs for my wife's work (hers is in an opposite direction). It is something else and will be nice for us to be closer to everything we've been doing for the last 9 months!

The thing I'm going to miss the most is my sheep. Less so any individuals, but the whole flock as an integral part of who I am. I have hope that when I graduate from school, I can find a vet practice where I want to work, and we can buy some small acreage with a house close by so that I can get some sheep again.

Here was lambing from 2022.

View attachment 96894

Lambing from this season, 2023. We have 16 on the ground so far!
View attachment 96895

Grazing the 30 acre property in spring 2022.
View attachment 96896

Cattle grazing the 30 acre property in 2022. All of the girls have been auctioned off or sold to private buyers as of this month. Have 2 large steers and a wily bull calf left.
View attachment 96897

And we had SO many litters of piglets in 2022! I am having a heck of a time selling my KuneKune herd. My hope is that once the pasture comes on, more buyers will be interested. I know they don't get as big as quickly as standard hogs, but they are still tasty as heck. They are also so much more resourceful on pasture and do well on a much higher fiber diet than the standard breeds do. If you or anyone you know close to southwest VA wants some, I have all my sows plus some younger pigs, and my registered boar, for sale.
View attachment 96898

Hopefully we will all survive this intense transition period, and I will come out the other end in 4 years as a licensed veterinarian!
On to a grand adventure!

I am also headed to vet school this fall and can't wait!

Good luck!

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Wow! And Wow! That is fantastic! VET SCHOOL!!!! I’m so excited for y’all. It will be a transition for sure, but you need to put your all into school and the farm is a full time job in itself. Sad to let them go, I know that hurts.

Just an idea, a vet I used to use before I moved, had a metal building for his house, another one for his practice and a barn for his goats and Great Pyrenees. He lived on acreage along with his practice.

Maybe when the day comes, y’all could buy another farm and put your practice on it. Just a thought.

mysunwolf

Herd Master
Reaction score
so glad you got into vet school, I plan on going to vet school this fall! wish me luck lol.
So much luck! The application process was CRAZY.

Wow! And Wow! That is fantastic! VET SCHOOL!!!! I’m so excited for y’all. It will be a transition for sure, but you need to put your all into school and the farm is a full time job in itself. Sad to let them go, I know that hurts.

Just an idea, a vet I used to use before I moved, had a metal building for his house, another one for his practice and a barn for his goats and Great Pyrenees. He lived on acreage along with his practice.

Maybe when the day comes, y’all could buy another farm and put your practice on it. Just a thought.
So wonderful to get to hear from you, I miss all my BYH folks!! What a brilliant idea for a vet practice, we might just have to do it. I just can't live without sheep in my life. I really don't want to run my own practice though so I might have to figure that one out.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
In Crockett, near me, the old vet passed away. A group of vets purchased the clinic, plus another vet clinic. There is 2-3 vets at each clinic. One is always there, one is out making farm calls, at each clinic. One vet is on call each weekend. And I found 2 vets at one of the clinics that know sheep! In cattle country, no less!

Point is, work for someone else for awhile, then open your own clinic. Operate it at your farm, pick location carefully! Hire another vet after you get things up and going. Then you have someone to alternate being on call .

Bottom line, you will do wonderfully! I’m so excited for you!

Latest posts