ND Goat with ultra dry, flaking skin - Vet suggests euthanizing?

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
I would think that castor oil would help with the mites as well as the other skin problems, It will smother them.

WildOaksManor

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I was able to get her to hold still long enough to get a few pictures. At this point, my next move is to treat for mineral deficiency, or mites. Wondering if anyone can tell from the pics which one I should try first? I would prefer to test/treat for the most likely scenario, if I can, then wait before treating for the other, so I can see which treatment actual achieves results.
(The coconut oil seems to be helping with the cracking and bleeding skin, but obviously, she needs some other type of treatment, I think)
@Southern by choice @Goat Whisperer @babsbag @NH homesteader @norseofcourse @OneFineAcre
20170111_093933_1.jpg

20170111_093645.jpg

Last edited:

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Actually I'd be doing both. I would be treating for mites and starting her on supplements.

@babsbag what do you think about multi-min for this goat? It is Rx so not sure if the vet will prescribe.

:hit:hit:hit

NH homesteader

Herd Master
Reaction score
I really don't know but the poor dear looks so sad. I don't think treating for mites would hurt her even if it isn't mites, right? I don't know about minerals and such... Just wanted to say sorry she's dealing with this:hugs

WildOaksManor

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Actually I'd be doing both. I would be treating for mites and starting her on supplements.

@babsbag what do you think about multi-min for this goat? It is Rx so not sure if the vet will prescribe.

:hit:hit:hit

So, she's on Manna Pro Goat right now...would I continue to give her that, and also give her a zinc supplement? Copper bolus? Is there a certain product I can order? I'd like to treat her sister at the same time....should I treat all 8 goats? (all does, except one 4 month old buckling)

THANK YOU for your help! I am hopeful she will NOT have to be put down!

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
:hit Poor girl. I know this must be hard on you too :hugs

Are you able to do a mineral analysis?
You might have posted it and I missed it.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Before giving all these things PLEASE have the blood drawn and get a mineral analysis done! Keep giving the minerals but here is what is important... without the data and you start giving stuff you could end up giving toxic amounts. Toxicity often mimics deficiency. The other side is you want to KNOW what it is that helps. Throwing too much at once is not a good idea. You can get the lab reports back in a few days and that data is significant! Meanwhile I would treat all goats and change all bedding.

Ideally it would be great to kind of isolate her.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
I would do the Multi-min 90 if the vet will give you the script for it.

Latest posts