Need some help with Nigerian Dwarf bottle babies

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Heard of stubborn old goats (mirrors come to mind) but that's one stubborn baby goat! Hard to understand why it would starve to death rather than take a bottle. Thanks for the update (as others have said) and I hope this solves the issue and you get back a fully weaned goat, ready to become a productive part of your goat society.

dejavoodoo114

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I am glad you kept bothering the breeder and that she is willing to keep your little girl until fully on the bottle or weaned! We also pull the kids immediately when we plan to bottle feed. Things are far easier that way on the kids and dam.

m700

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Unfortunately, the buckling is now doing the same exact thing the doeling was doing. He is refusing to eat, rejects the bottle and is acting like he doesn't know how to nurse anymore. He has been moping around all day since his sister has been gone and has not eaten. I am seriously at loss ... I am really upset. Don't know what to do at this point. Breeder said the doeling is nursing off mom and another dam, don't think mom will take on her other baby. I hate to say this but at this point I am just done with it. My family is upset about it all and taking it out on me as if I asked for them to be "difficult" The breeder offered for me to take the other sister who hasn't left mom yet and I refused. I don't need to take that risk a third time. I don't see any other way to get him back to normal other than bringing him back to his family.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
I am so sorry this has been your experience. This should have been joyful and exciting for everyone.
Sadly I think the breeders inexperience perhaps has made this far less than joyous.

It is not your fault that this turned out this way.

I hope this does not ruin you on goats forever. I suspect your breeder will have learned from this as well.

norseofcourse

Herd Master
Reaction score
What SBC said. I'm sorry it's been so tough with the little ones. I'm sure the buckling is affected by his sister not being there, maybe tomorrow he will be acting better and enjoying the extra attention from you. And I also hope it doesn't put you off goatkeeping, they can be such fun to be around.

m700

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I own 4 wethers that I've had for about 2 years. I got them when they were about 3 months so they were already eating on their own. They are hilarious and part of the family. I enjoy their company that's why I wanted to add two more. I just feel bad all around. I am actually in dog rescue and currently have two chihuahua siblings, one male one female. He seemed to take to the female for comfort, they are passed out together right now. Maybe this will help him get back in the swing of things... hoping maybe he will eat a little bit after realizing he is not alone. *fingers crossed*

IMG_1300.JPG
IMG_1296.JPG
IMG_1304.JPG
IMG_1308.JPG

dejavoodoo114

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Yikes, I agree with SBC. Sorry for this experience. How is the buck doing now?

m700

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Update: He laid off a day or two after his sister left, I had to syringe feed him because he just wouldn't eat. I didn't want to give up on him and have to bring him back too, so I had the idea to introduce Peanut the Chihuahua to him. It took a day or so and he perked back up. He started taking the bottle again without issue, started jumping, head butting, and running around like crazy again. They spend all day with each other playing, and snuggle to sleep at night. They are pretty much inseparable now, they're always cuddling in a little dog bed together, it's pretty cute. Peanut even thinks she is supposed to get a bottle now.

This morning, he has decided to not take his bottle. I'm not sure why he does this, but I try not to freak out so much as long as he's still playing and acting normal. I've learned with him and his sister that their personalities are very stubborn and particular.

He is 14 days old now. He is eating 6-8 ounces 4 x a day. He sucks down 6-8 and then acts as if he wants more but never really does. I keep offering until it's clear he's full and then I wait until the next feeding. When he's outside he nibbles on grass and has dipped his nose into water a couple of times. I know I need to introduce hay and grain in, but how much?

Also, the sister is still at the breeder and still won't take a bottle. The breeder is keeping her on the mother and another goat to nurse until she is weaned. We've been thinking it over, and the main reason we got bottle babies was to have them raised by us from the beginning to bond with them. Since we had such a rough experience with her, and now that she is not with us, we really don't have a connection with her. (I hope that doesn't sound harsh) I am ok with taking her back when she is weaned, but it doesn't really make sense to. We bought her as a bottle baby to bottle feed her and be a companion to her brother, not to be raised with the breeder and then weaned. My family member thinks that it's right that the breeder refunds us the $200.00 we paid for her if I do decide to tell her that we won't be taking her back. I'm not sure how the breeder will go about this.. do you guys think it's ok to ask her for a refund? I don't know how any of that works or if she'll even do it. I don't want any issues with the breeder, I feel like she is eventually going to get aggravated.