New Here

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Welcome from VA. My only dog is a minipin who won't protect the chickens but also will NOT chase, bark or annoy them. Respect. Of course, they are larger than her -- respect rules.

What everyone has said is true!! LOTS of great info.

Couple other things. You will notice that we LOVE pictures :D Can be anything! A blade of grass...yep, we love pics. AND we are living our dreams (or trying) and as such are the greatest ENABLERS. We give choices, info & recommendations and most always suggest you get "something". Yeah, it's true.
So if you have ever "thought" you wanted some kind of animal there will always be help with getting you to need it.:cool:
Sounds like you will only need a tiny push to acquire more.:lol:

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
And you will also find out that some of us will get the animals first then worry about housing for them and whatever else after. ;)
Yeah -- I didn't want to make her cringe this early! :lol:

Hey -- EVERYONE helps with quick tips to make it work ok.:D You are never alone.

bethh

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Wow everyone thank you. All right another couple of questions, would you suggest me waiting until I've had a chance to read more of has been written? If I get this puppy, where do you recommend that she sleep? All our dogs are crate trained but they are also inside dogs. Also, would I keep her penned when we aren't home? These feel like dumb questions but... Last one for now, do adult LGD ever become available?

bethh

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Yeah -- I didn't want to make her cringe this early! :lol:

Hey -- EVERYONE helps with quick tips to make it work ok.:D You are never alone.
I tend to do things backwards usually--- lets get ... and then try and figure out how to make it work. I'm trying to avoid that with a new dog so my husband doesn't want to ring my neck.

bethh

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Welcome from VA. My only dog is a minipin who won't protect the chickens but also will NOT chase, bark or annoy them. Respect. Of course, they are larger than her -- respect rules.

What everyone has said is true!! LOTS of great info.

Couple other things. You will notice that we LOVE pictures :D Can be anything! A blade of grass...yep, we love pics. AND we are living our dreams (or trying) and as such are the greatest ENABLERS. We give choices, info & recommendations and most always suggest you get "something". Yeah, it's true.
So if you have ever "thought" you wanted some kind of animal there will always be help with getting you to need it.:cool:
Sounds like you will only need a tiny push to acquire more.:lol:

Oh my, can't let dear hubby find this site or he may block it. Just kidding. He enjoys what we are doing as much as I do.

Wehner Homestead

Herd Master
Reaction score
Wow everyone thank you. All right another couple of questions, would you suggest me waiting until I've had a chance to read more of has been written? If I get this puppy, where do you recommend that she sleep? All our dogs are crate trained but they are also inside dogs. Also, would I keep her penned when we aren't home? These feel like dumb questions but... Last one for now, do adult LGD ever become available?

Pup has growing to do. You could get and teach the basics like your other dogs. A sturdy fenced area outside with a shelter would be sufficient. We almost all bring ours in the house on occasion to keep them used to it for the benefit of spoiling them with attention and in case an emergency would occur and containment would be necessary. Pup would need properly introduced to your existing dogs too.

LGDs are bred to think independently. They won’t rely on you for constant commands like a herding dog. You have to have a high level of respect and trust in each other.

Adults rarely come available without issue. It does happen when someone retires or downsizes or passes but it’s very infrequent and you could wait a long time.

bethh

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Well, I'm supposed to go see her Saturday. I'm sure I'll be doing lots of reading between now and then to get myself completely confused. Oh I took some pics today for y'all and will post them in a fews minutes once I've downloaded them to the computer.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
My husband bought me a Great Pyrenees puppy 3 weeks before we moved. I was running back and forth to the new place (3 hours away) spending several days, getting the house ready to move into. We named the puppy Trip. Paris just wanted to eat him, she was NOT sharing HER back yard with him! Poor thing spent 3 weeks in the chicken run. Then we moved, left him and Paris and came back for them and the chickens two days later. It was wild. Naturally, at our new place I didn't have a place for Trip, so we just had to wing it for awhile.

https://www.backyardherds.com/threads/new-pyrenees-puppy.30587/

https://www.backyardherds.com/threads/trip-is-a-sheep-guardian.32758/

I want to point out that what has worked for me might not work for you. Please take the time to read the threads and study what other people have done.

This pup sounds like it has promise. If you like it, get it. People here will be happy to help you along the way. A good fence helps. If your place is not fenced, build a pen to start with. We used 2"x4" horse wire ALL around our place and all cross fences.

Trip jumps the fences, but only in particular places. He wants to patrol the house and yard up to the front gate. At the gate, he jumps the fence on the left which leads to the sheep barn. He squeezes between 2 cow panels that I leave unfastened just so he can do that. Then he can run the side yard all the way to the back yard. He jumps out and comes back to the house. During the heat of the summer day, he is under the porch. At night, he sprawls out in the driveway, halfway between the house and the road. he does not want to stay with the sheep, but he guards them-HIS way. I leave some gates open for him so he can patrol. LOL Paris guards and does not jump fences.

Has anybody told you that these dogs are weird? :lol:

During a thunderstorm, he comes on the porch, peering in the window and is soon sprawled out in the living room floor. A lot of nights, he "asks" to come in, he takes about an hour nap, then is ready to go back to work. He runs all night, we hear him barking at different parts of the farm. We have never lost a sheep or lamb to predators.

Very important point. SOCIALIZE YOUR DOG! Take your puppy on a leash to a pet store, farm store, get him a treat. Teach him to ride in a car or truck. You will be glad you did when it is time to take him to the vet. Our vet tells us that some people have to load their dogs in horse or cattle trailers to take them to the vet. Then the vet has to examine them in the trailer. Others can't load their dogs in anything and the vet has to make a farm call to treat their dogs.

Latest posts