Newbie with 14 going on 16 pets!

norseofcourse

Herd Master
Reaction score
Welcome from Ohio! I have ponies and sheep. Alpacas are pretty, good luck with your plans to get some.

Sheepshape

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hello from 'across the Pond''....Wales (land of about 10 million sheep and 3 million people plus own language).

Your pet numbers sound pretty normal to me. I've got about 100 sheep (mostly pets), 15 chickens (planning for new hatch next year,too), 2 cats. 1 dog and will have a varying number of over-wintering hedgehogs very soon.

I like the idea of alpacas too.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Welcome from New Hampshire! I haven't counted my animals lately... Let's see... 2 dogs, 6 goats, 5 pigs, 9 turkeys and 15 laying hens plus some meat birds that I haven't counted in a while.

I love alpacas... Don't have any. Yet... Although my husband would be happy if we never got them. (I always win :lol:)

Tell him you are deciding between alpacas (150-190 pounds, fleece reasonably valuable and well suited for spinning and clothing, tend not to challenge fences, an acre of good quality pasture can support 15-20 alpacas) and llamas (250-400 pounds, fleece of value only if the animals came from a line bred for fiber but even then less suitable for clothing, need strong fences, an acre of good quality pasture can support 4 llamas, can be used as pack and/or guard animals). Ask which he would prefer ;)

Goats are SO much fun, I used to ride at a place that owned 4 of them, I loved those goats! Our chickens are insanely pampered, we were shopping for a winter co-op heater today, we also give them at least one corn on the cob/forage cake/mealworms/leftovers/etc oh and we bought them a playpen to wander in on the lawn....

A playpen? How big is this playpen and how big are the chickens? I don't think I've ever seen a playpen that would be of use for chicks more than a month old and only if there weren't a lot of them. Quite confused!

Alexz7272

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Welcome from Colorado!
I'll add to the obsession :D
We have 22 chickens, 13 quail, 3 turkeys, 3 ducks, 7 rabbits, 6 goats, 3 sheep, 2 alpacas (yay more alpaca people!!) and four dogs -Black Lab, 2 Catahoula Leopards & a Siberian Husky.
You are in excellent company here :frow

Horse1029

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Tell him you are deciding between alpacas (150-190 pounds, fleece reasonably valuable and well suited for spinning and clothing, tend not to challenge fences, an acre of good quality pasture can support 15-20 alpacas) and llamas (250-400 pounds, fleece of value only if the animals came from a line bred for fiber but even then less suitable for clothing, need strong fences, an acre of good quality pasture can support 4 llamas, can be used as pack and/or guard animals). Ask which he would prefer ;)

A playpen? How big is this playpen and how big are the chickens? I don't think I've ever seen a playpen that would be of use for chicks more than a month old and only if there weren't a lot of them. Quite confused!
It's... like a fabric square that we put on the lawn. All bantam chickens, we don't free range them anymore, one of our chickens was taken by a hawk while free ranging on the lawn, so they chill in the pen, which is pretty big :)

Horse1029

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Welcome from Colorado!
I'll add to the obsession :D
We have 22 chickens, 13 quail, 3 turkeys, 3 ducks, 7 rabbits, 6 goats, 3 sheep, 2 alpacas (yay more alpaca people!!) and four dogs -Black Lab, 2 Catahoula Leopards & a Siberian Husky.
You are in excellent company here :frow
Huskys and labs are the BEST :lol, what do your alpacas look like? They are becoming my favorite animal, the more I know about them.

Horse1029

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Welcome from Alaska!
I just moved to Alaska 3 weeks ago from Oregon. In Oregon I have 4 goats, and 1 dog. Our dog is a blue heeler pit lab mix. Our goats are, 1 oberhasli buck, 1 Nigerian dwarf lamancha Nubian mix doe, 1 mini Nubian wether, and a Alpine doe. I left all my animals in Oregon besides my dog till we come to get them next year.

I use to have 9 goats, 1 horse, 2 cats , 2 gold fish , 9 Bunny's , and around 60 chickens. But had to sell them all.
I love horses, tell me about your old one :3 I've been to Alaska before, it's a really cool place :) pit bulls are my favorite kind of dog, so I can respect you mix :lol

NH homesteader

Herd Master
Reaction score
@Bruce my husband knows my feelings on llamas already so I can't trick him but good thinking lol.

@Alexz7272 I missed that you had half of those animals! I thought you had like 2 goats. You're more obsessed than I thought :lol: