NH Homesteader- turkeys!

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
Awww NH!! I really hate to hear it for ya, I remember your excitement when ya got him, but ya found out early enough that ya do have options as a pen mate to others that are separated. Don't be too hard on yourself for not trusting your gut feeling, be thankful that you are that much Wiser now. All of us have been there many times, and there are more in the future. No, it doesn't make it easier, but if it were easy more would be doing it. You give, sacrifice, and care for your family...including animals...as much as anyone, so if it is your choice to raise him, or sell him as a pet you'll find the right spot for him to be a benefit for you. Now, being wiser ya get to search, find, and get a New goat..."Goat Math"...any way ya "Slice or Dice" it. :) :hugs

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
Well, that just stinks! But, better to find out now than to have a bunch of babies that don't live up to what you want them to. Sorry :hugs

NH homesteader

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. I'm bummed, primarily from a financial perspective but I've learned a lot and he is the sweetest goat in the world. I will keep him unless a lovely pet home comes knocking. My does hate him so he might be happier elsewhere. And he's too small and too much of a pushover to live with a buck! So we will see. I am heading out to check on him and make sure everyone gets one last dose of warm water in a minute here.

I have a buckling on reserve but this may have killed my breeding this year. If it does, oh well. Worse things have happened. Like a bunch of kids with issues from a buck I should never have bred. That would be worse.

Southern I didn't know about your little ones, I wasn't around then! How big is your wether now?

Side note, the vet was laughing hysterically because my husband was cuddling the goat all upset that a room full of women (minus him) was going to take his manhood. And my daughter kept going "what is she doing? I don't think he likes her very much"

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I love your vets office! Played the video for my husband and we laughed all the way through it, plus we like Bruno Mars!

that sucks about your buck/wether. Oh well, at least you didn't breed problems into your goats. I am glad you found this forum and joined our madness. Did you ever catch your chicken?

NH homesteader

Herd Master
Reaction score
Oh I am quite mad! Haha. Nope I think she's gone. DH was going to try to rig something up to catch her when we got back from the vet but I haven't seen her since last night.

I have never been to a vet office where every single person was happy, friendly and about 4 people asked if we seriously drove from as far away as we did. And I told them I am very picky about vets! Also the vet we see trained directly under the vet who used to go to my husband's farm the whole time he was growing up. He was like family. He passed a few years ago.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I liked the discussion about Easter Eggers versus Aracaunas/Ameracaunas (sp?) I have EE's and don't care if they are cross breds or not. The eggs are blue and green and one lays a speckled cream colored egg. It just makes it more fun and my egg customers love the colors. Some of my egg customers have come out to the farm and "met" the chickens, including Bless You, Elsa, Beard-O, Cinnamon, Rose and Clunker, the EE's.

There is a huge thread on BYC about breeding olive eggers. Basically you cross a blue egg layer with a brown egg layer and you get olive green eggs. If you use dark brown egg layers, you get a dark olive egg. I gotta try this!

NH homesteader

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thanks and you should tell my husband that, lol. He might disagree.

In one way I feel relieved because I felt pressured about trying to make him be my herd sire and I've been trying everything to see what's going on with him but I didnt do anything wrong. Yay! Lol

When I went outside he was snacking on hay quite happily.

I'm anxious about the CAE results. And about the fact that I now need to buy 2 bucks this spring/summer. Sigh.

TAH

Herd Master
Reaction score
:fl:fl
I as on pins and needles waiting for our CL results and I had to wait a month for the results. I don't think I am using waddl again.