NH Homesteader- turkeys!

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
I send my samples to Sage Ag labs and they do them within the week and email me the results. Many times I am getting pregnancy checks at the same time and they do that and CAE, CL, and Johnes.

Sorry that you are now looking for a new buck. Wish I was closer, I could set you up with a really nice ND to borrow/buy or a mini Alpine.

I love the video, they did a really nice job on that and looks like they had a lot of fun.

NH homesteader

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thanks, I wish I was too! I would love a mini alpine. Actually... I should email the lady I got mine from. See if I can get an unrelated one. She is a backyard breeder/soap and lotion maker but she has beautiful registered goats and clean tests and is really on top of things. She has good prices too. Hmm....

NH homesteader

Herd Master
Reaction score
Babs how big do the mini bucks get? Would a mini alpine flatten a pygmy? That's what he would be living with.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
My mini alpine is a 50-50 and 10 months old. I haven't weighed him but I would guess about 75 lbs max and he is much shorter than my Pyr LGD. I think he would do fine with a Pygmy. I have ND, LM and Standard Alpine all living together and they do ok.

NH homesteader

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thanks both of you! I'll have to talk to her. I'd be getting both around the same time so they would grow up together. I know F1's can be all over the place, I have twins and one looks like an alpine and is 59lbs and the other looks like a nigie and is maybe 50.

Things to consider....

NH homesteader

Herd Master
Reaction score
I emailed her... I think I'll go with a Nigie though, that way I can breed him to all of my does. I told my husband I need two bucks now instead of one and he looked like he was about to have a stroke. But he didn't argue! He would prefer I stick with nigie and pygmy bucks for management purposes. And hey since he trims all their hooves for me, and does more than his fair share of the fencing (I am so bad at fencing but I try!), it's ok with me. Oh also he prefers the smaller feed bill. It's not like they're giving me more milk by being bigger (not planning on retaining many).

DH is working this morning, then we will be going to get his turkey this afternoon. We did tell him, because I started to get nervous that he would be like no, I really had a different plan for turkeys... But he's thrilled. He had never heard of a Chocolate turkey before.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Chocolates are considered a heritage breed, they are not recognized by the APA for show but are a color that has some following. There is a breeder in Idaho I think that has MANY colors of heritage breeds and sell poults. We cannot get them shipped to Va due to the avian influenza/poultry diseases stuff, which is stupid, but I can go buy anything anywhere and bring it here....Since they are all kinds of tested out there I just don't get it. May have to get some shipped to someone in NC or MD and then get some that way sometime...
If you like them maybe DH could look into that. Look up heritage turkeys and Idaho, think it's in Sandpoint.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Sounds like if you ever move you should be looking for somewhere really close to that Vet!!