1. BYH Official Poll: What are the things that you should consider before buying herds?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  2. Nice to see some Back Yard Chickens members here. Let's feature one this week. - Featured Thread
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Ohio

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by plapczynski, Jul 19, 2008.

1. May 15, 2012
    elevan

elevan Critter Addict ♥ Moderator Moderator

2. May 27, 2012
    goathill

goathill Just born

Hello! I'm originally from Ohio, but currently living out of state. My husband and I are currently considering moving to Northeast Ohio (Ashtabula, Lake or Geagua counties) and are trying to find a plot of land suitable for small family farming. We'd like to raise chickens, milk goats, and possibly a dairy cow on the property, as well as farm a large garden. At the moment, we've found several excellent prospects for property and housing, but I'm having a hard time finding out whether or not any of these properties are suitable for the animal husbandry we'd like to do. One or two properties are in townships with very minimal zoning laws, but a few are zoned as single family residential. What's the best way to find out about land use? Calling the townships? Counties?

Thanks for any help you can offer!

3. May 27, 2012
    ksalvagno

ksalvagno Alpaca Master

:welcome

It depends on the city/township that it is in. I would start with calling the county. Then the county people will tell you if you need to contact the city/township. If it is zoned R1 residential, then I wouldn't buy it. Even if they allow animals now, that could be taken away easily. Also, if you have 5 acres or more, you can do more of what you want.

4. May 27, 2012
    goathill

goathill Just born

Great! Thank you for the info. I'll keep digging, but it's very difficult to find info online!

5. May 27, 2012
    goathill

goathill Just born

Also, if you don't mind my asking, what's the 5 acre and above thing about? Pretty much everything we've looked at is 5 acres or more. How will that grant us more freedom?

6. May 27, 2012
    elevan

Welcome to BYH!

:frow

7. Jun 5, 2012
    ourflockof4

ourflockof4 Chillin' with the herd

Most everything around here that isn't in the city limits is governd by the township. Most townships have a magic acre number that puts you into an agricultural class and are exempt from some of the regulations. Not all townships do this though, some are very by the book regardless of size. Yes, absolutly call the township zoning inspector and ask them your questions. Most are very helpful and will explain the regulations to you and also give you some guidence on how closely they are inforced. Also, google is your friend. There are a lot of local townships that have there zoning books listed online now. (search here http://www.conwaygreene.com/ ) Some area will also set the number of allowable animals per acre on the property.

8. Dec 8, 2012
    DebFred

DebFred Just born

Hi All.

I am Deb, from the CIncinnati area of Ohio. I just found this group through the BYC forum. Love that one, and looking forward to meeting all of you. We are going to start raising rabbits this spring. So I want to learn as much as possible about them.

9. Dec 8, 2012
    ksalvagno

ksalvagno Alpaca Master

:welcome from North Central Ohio

10. Dec 8, 2012
    elevan

:frow Welcome Deb!