Ohio

goathill

Just born
Reaction score
Hello! I'm originally from Ohio, but currently living out of state. My husband and I are currently considering moving to Northeast Ohio (Ashtabula, Lake or Geagua counties) and are trying to find a plot of land suitable for small family farming. We'd like to raise chickens, milk goats, and possibly a dairy cow on the property, as well as farm a large garden. At the moment, we've found several excellent prospects for property and housing, but I'm having a hard time finding out whether or not any of these properties are suitable for the animal husbandry we'd like to do. One or two properties are in townships with very minimal zoning laws, but a few are zoned as single family residential. What's the best way to find out about land use? Calling the townships? Counties?

Thanks for any help you can offer!

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
:welcome

It depends on the city/township that it is in. I would start with calling the county. Then the county people will tell you if you need to contact the city/township. If it is zoned R1 residential, then I wouldn't buy it. Even if they allow animals now, that could be taken away easily. Also, if you have 5 acres or more, you can do more of what you want.

goathill

Just born
Reaction score
Great! Thank you for the info. I'll keep digging, but it's very difficult to find info online!

goathill

Just born
Reaction score
Also, if you don't mind my asking, what's the 5 acre and above thing about? Pretty much everything we've looked at is 5 acres or more. How will that grant us more freedom?

ourflockof4

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
goathill said:
Also, if you don't mind my asking, what's the 5 acre and above thing about? Pretty much everything we've looked at is 5 acres or more. How will that grant us more freedom?
Most everything around here that isn't in the city limits is governd by the township. Most townships have a magic acre number that puts you into an agricultural class and are exempt from some of the regulations. Not all townships do this though, some are very by the book regardless of size. Yes, absolutly call the township zoning inspector and ask them your questions. Most are very helpful and will explain the regulations to you and also give you some guidence on how closely they are inforced. Also, google is your friend. There are a lot of local townships that have there zoning books listed online now. (search here http://www.conwaygreene.com/ ) Some area will also set the number of allowable animals per acre on the property.

DebFred

Just born
Reaction score
Hi All.

I am Deb, from the CIncinnati area of Ohio. I just found this group through the BYC forum. Love that one, and looking forward to meeting all of you. We are going to start raising rabbits this spring. So I want to learn as much as possible about them.