Our LGD Journey

Cecilia's-herd

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Ah, ok - so you mean OFA registry, not necessarily AKC or other breed registry.
Oh, yes, sorry! OFA is the Orthopedic Foundation for Animals. AKC or UKC is fine with me! Cont. Kennel Club is a red flag just because lots of puppy mills use it as a registry. Canadian KC is good as well

Last edited:

AgnesGray

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Ironic how things go. So many possibilities and none of them worked out, but as of yesterday, we have a third dog.

Shep's dad is staying with his pack as they got their fences sorted out and I'm happy for them. He's adored where he is and I think when it came down to it, parting with him was not the option they thought it was.

Meanwhile, they chose not to come back for Moose. :( And he hated Annie (and Shep) more than ever. And really just wanted to hang out with people on the couch. He's so confused at this point about how to direct and use his instincts. We made the difficult choice to rehome him to a pet home with the help of GP rehoming support. And he is happily living the life of a pet GP once again.

Someone found a pup wandering around by a local lake and brought him to the sheriff at about 5 months old (he's been staying with the shelter for a month while they looked for owners and getting his shots). They offered him to us because of Annie being part Anatolian and most of the people who wanted him didn't have any experience with LGD breeds. I went to meet him a few weeks ago. No owners came for him and so we brought him home yesterday.

20220502_194605.jpg

With an unknown background, it will be interesting to see how he does with our stock, but even if it doesn't work out for him to blend in with them, perimeter help will be very welcome. Our local DNR quietly released big cats to control the deer population and a mom and her cubs were spotted near our property so the added presence he should bring is very welcome.

Adventure part 3, here we go!

Cecilia's-herd

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I wish you all the luck in the world. Lots of people will abandon LGDs that can't guard or use their instincts the correct way. I remember my neighbor abandoned a dog who continuously killed chickens. Thankfully I found him and called the rescue to come to pick him up. Poor baby! He's very cute. Hopefully, that Anatolian side of him pays off.

AgnesGray

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I wish you all the luck in the world. Lots of people will abandon LGDs that can't guard or use their instincts the correct way. I remember my neighbor abandoned a dog who continuously killed chickens. Thankfully I found him and called the rescue to come to pick him up. Poor baby! He's very cute. Hopefully, that Anatolian side of him pays off.
Thanks! I am going to need it! :)

That's such an awful, but sadly somewhat common, way your neighbor handled that situation. Good for you for stepping in and helping the dog out! What breed was the chicken killer?

Cecilia's-herd

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Thanks! I am going to need it! :)

That's such an awful, but sadly somewhat common, way your neighbor handled that situation. Good for you for stepping in and helping the dog out! What breed was the chicken killer?
Anatolian/Pyr cross. The most common mix around here. I think it was bad genetics.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Very handsome dog! I can see the intelligence in his face. He may take some work and direction but it will so be worth it. What is his name?

You are right about outer parameter help. I have a big black Great Dane/Labrador cross that is the back up help on the other side of the fence, in the yard. Do even if your new dog doesn’t get alone with the other two, he will still be a valuable addition to your farm.

AgnesGray

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Very handsome dog! I can see the intelligence in his face. He may take some work and direction but it will so be worth it. What is his name?

You are right about outer parameter help. I have a big black Great Dane/Labrador cross that is the back up help on the other side of the fence, in the yard. Do even if your new dog doesn’t get alone with the other two, he will still be a valuable addition to your farm.
They named him Rocky and I think it kind of fits so we'll probably keep that.

I bet that Great Dane Labrador is beautiful! Sometimes just a big figure and a solid bark is really helpful for moving along troublemakers.

I'm really encouraged by how well the first nose touch went between my two and this guy. He averted his gaze and Annie's whole demeanor relaxed and she threw out a dog smile. We'll see when they're actually able to interact a bit.