Penicillin dosages for kids

Jessica Danielle

Just born
Reaction score
I have a kid who is 4 weeks old and is the smallest of the triplets. Yesterday, she came out of the stall with her siblings and momma but separated herself from the others. She was very lethargic and shivering. I took her temp and it was 106.8! So i brought her in and gave her a few ml of electrolytes and a 10mg asprin. She stopped shivering for a few hours but went back to a high fever every four hours. As i am new to sick goats (I've had them for a year with no issues) i listened to the advice of another and gave her oxytetracycline... now i know better! (It causes bone growth problems in kids under 6 months apparently ) She is more active today and starving enough to dring a little milk formula from a bottle. Her poop indicates she is eating some hay (clumped pellets) but it has some mucus in it....And she still has a fever! Should i give her penicillin? And if so, how much? She is 10lbs exactly. Mom wont accept her anymore as she is weening on top of the baby being sick.

Wehner Homestead

Herd Master
Reaction score
Baby doesn’t need the extra stress of weaning and nutrients from mom’s milk will help exponentially. Make Mom stand for her to nurse at least 2-3 times a day (just for a few days.)

Dose will be based on the strength of what you have. Can you post pics of the front of the bottle and the dosage instructions that are included on it?

Jessica Danielle

Just born
Reaction score
I tried forcing mom to feed her... she acted like i was letting a demon suck her blood! Not to mention she kicks and stomps at the baby when she gets close. She is pretty dramatic when you make her do anything she doesnt feel like doing. She seems to be weaning the other two also but doesnt run them away everytime they even get close. I dont have a milkstand to tie her to either. The baby did drink colostrum from a bottle just a bit ago. It was suggested to help bring her immune system up if she wasnt drinking milk. Am i just totally wrong with what im doing?

Jessica Danielle

Just born
Reaction score
Baby doesn’t need the extra stress of weaning and nutrients from mom’s milk will help exponentially. Make Mom stand for her to nurse at least 2-3 times a day (just for a few days.)

Dose will be based on the strength of what you have. Can you post pics of the front of the bottle and the dosage instructions that are included on it?
View attachment 59599

rosti

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Colostrum has little to no benefit after the babies are 24 hours old, so don’t bother. She’s definitely too young to be weaned, so plan on bottle feeding her 3-4 times a day, but I’d also leave her with Mom and siblings for the company.
With a fever like that, definitely keep her on an antibiotic-penicillin is okay, but you really need to try hard to find out what’s wrong as a different antibiotic might work better. Kinda sounds like pneumonia, in which case penicillin has worked good for me in treating pneumonia. :)

Jessica Danielle

Just born
Reaction score
20190316_213536.jpg

Jessica Danielle

Just born
Reaction score
What dosage did you use? I am so confused on how much to give her as the bottle does not specifically refer to goats... so i have avoided giving it to her just yet. Plus the oxytetracycline was given less than 36hrs ago. She was given the last asprin at 1 today and her temp was back down to 104 at 7pm. Should i take that as an improvement?

Wehner Homestead

Herd Master
Reaction score
I can’t open the link you posted.

I looked at the age of the kid again and I agree. No weaning prior to 8 weeks of age. Either bottlefeed or Mom’s going to have to suck it up.

rosti

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
With that strength, I give 1 ML twice a day for at least 7 days. As concerns the LA200: I think 36 hours is long enough ago for the penicillin to be effective, but maybe a more experienced member will chime in and say for sure.