prelabor in ff Nubian??? help

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
You have GOT to relax a bit! You're gonna have a hemorrhage... Mother nature has been taking care of this for a very long time... Don't "make/expect" a problem... just keep pulling your hair out, then turn and walk back inside the house and have a cupa' When the time comes, she'll either show you unmistakable signs, or she'll be a devious sneak and the kid(s) will just "materialize" while you're on your coffee break. Generally if there's an issue, it will present and since there IS then an issue, it will continue until it's rectified, so you'll know something is not right (since you're hovering :duc:hide) At which point you can jump in and help. :fl:fl:fl it happens soon for you! :D

shaynagc

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Lol
You have GOT to relax a bit! You're gonna have a hemorrhage... Mother nature has been taking care of this for a very long time... Don't "make/expect" a problem... just keep pulling your hair out, then turn and walk back inside the house and have a cupa' When the time comes, she'll either show you unmistakable signs, or she'll be a devious sneak and the kid(s) will just "materialize" while you're on your coffee break. Generally if there's an issue, it will present and since there IS then an issue, it will continue until it's rectified, so you'll know something is not right (since you're hovering :duc:hide) At which point you can jump in and help. :fl:fl:fl it happens soon for you! :D
You're making it sound like I'm crazy when in actuality I'm just observing her. I had planned on just being there if she needed me. The problem is I didn't expect her to show signs of labor for a week straight. I am simply asking questions to people who know more than I do. This is her and my first time.. Obviously she nor I know what we are doing lol. I read about a million websites on what to expect and none of them told be to expect a week long ordeal of nesting and discomfort.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Was just picking on you... I understand. :hugsbe prepared for this to go on for another 2-3 weeks as it's entirely possible... justsayin. Referred to as "doe code" all well explained here someplace if you search for it. She won't let her kids escape until you are certifiable... ;)

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
:p Well, it IS different from hatching birds. I mean, if the egg doesn't, the hen kicks it out but hen is ok. With mammals you have birthing issues & you CAN have "mom" issues. That said, I doubt he will get extremely anxious. After all, with military and mortgage back ground your whole life is a "just wait" status:barnie

shaynagc

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
So babies yet, she has acted the same for the past 2 weeks and 2 days. I am baffled honestly. I don't know if I got my dates wayy off or if she's over due.

shaynagc

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Soo.. Abby still hasn't gave birth, BUT.. One of my other does who wasn't due for at least another 5 days decided to go early with NO signs of impending labor!!!. Arg.. Anyways. Opal gave birth to a buckling and a doeling, but is headbutting the doeling away. It is 3:00 am here and I've tried to get her to take to the baby for about 5 hours. I ended up putting her with her brother in a small pen in my hay shed. So I can take a nap without worrying her mother will harm her.. I guess I'll be milking and bottle feeding. ( I did get both the kids to nurse several times while I held opal still) anyone else have a ff head-butt her own kid away??