prelabor in ff Nubian??? help

norseofcourse

Herd Master
Reaction score
Not a goat, but I had a sheep who only wanted one of her twin lambs a couple years ago. I penned them both, and let mom nurse them several times a day, as I held her so she'd let her 'unfavorite' nurse. I went on the theory that 'you either take both, or you're not getting your favorite'. She accepted the other one a bit more each day, and was ok with them both by the end of the first week. It was a bit of work, but less than bottlefeeding would have been. Good luck!

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have had it happen too. I have pulled kids and fed, I have held the dam and let the kid feed, and I have had the doe accept the kid after a few days...sometimes. I have also fostered them onto other does. It's good that you got the colostrum in them.

shaynagc

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Update:
Abby gave birth to a beautiful (large) doeling .. For anyone else this might help. Abby gave prelabor signs for almost exactly 3 weeks. She pawned, yawned, stretched, ground her teeth, grunted, talked to her belly, even seemed to have light contractions. Her udder got only slightly more full over those 3 weeks, she never had any mucus/goop come out, she was dry back there when I checked her at about 5 pm last night. But she was standing still, eyes closed and I could just tell she was in labor finally. I check her again at 6:30 pm and she was pushing! She pushed for til about 7:30 then I decided she needed some help. I moved her leg to and saw one little hoof, so I pulled slightly with her contractions then out came the other hoof. I had to pull slightly with her contractions for about 5 mins, she had a really hard time getting the babies head out. But the baby is doing great and so is Abby. . My guess is she was about 7-10 days late!
Funny enough all 3 of my does gave birth within 24 hours!!!. Abby being late and the other girls about 7 days early!!
There are 4 doeling and 1 buckling all doing great. But I am bottle feeding one set of twins as my other goat opal rejected them and wanted nothing to do with them (she was also a ff) she was headbutting them away very hard and I was afraid she would hurt them. Thank you all for your help. I am learning a lot as I go

shaynagc

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Abby's doeling
Fantasia Painting(91).jpg