prolapse ewe in labour - no birth bubble yet - when to assist? What to do?

trampledbygeese

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Is she really in labor or is the prolapse just making her think she is?

That's the question. The vet isn't sure. She's not pushing as hard as he would expect. He has more experience than I do, but from my point of view, she was pushing much harder earlier.

Because we can't feel the lambs on the other side of the cervix, it could be that she's not actually ready to pop out the lambs yet and is just pushing because the prolapse feels weird.

That's why we are waiting until tomorrow before deciding on c-section or not.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Well, if not for any other reason, what you're dealing with right now if a perfect example of why it's a good idea to know when they were bred. It would add insult to injury to do a C section to deliver a non-viable lamb(s) and lose both the ewe and the lamb(s). Not to mention the vet bills added to it all. What a conundrum...

You could always dilate the cervix just a bit more to see if you can get a finger or two more onto the lamb on the other side. I'll be following to hopefully find out how this all comes to an end and what end. Wishing you all the best.

purplequeenvt

Herd Master
Reaction score
Ultimately, how you decide to handle this is up to you. Here's what I would recommend, keeping in mind of course that I can't see the sheep myself:

Wait to induce or do a c-section. She's not dilated, she hasn't passed any water bags, and you can't feel toes right at the cervix. Without actually putting my hands on (or in) her, my gut says that it is the prolapse talking and not real contractions.

I get the sense that your vet is not very sheep-savvy, is this accurate?

I'd either have the vet put a stitch in her vulva or insert a prolapse spoon (also known as a prolapse retainer). Keeping her vagina in the right spot just might calm her down.

norseofcourse

Herd Master
Reaction score
:hugs I haven't had to deal with much in the way of complications yet, so I have no first-hand experience to offer like the others here. I hope things go well with her, I'm sure you're very worried.

trampledbygeese

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
She ate a bit of dinner, but on the whole she's exhausted. Hoping she can have an uneventful night. More and more, I don't know... I don't know anything.

The Vet is very well respected in the sheep and goat community. His first instinct was that the lambs aren't fully ready to come out yet seems more and more what's going on. Ring womb or whatever it's called is a strong possibility. The thing is, it's so difficult to tell when there are so many variables.

She's crying a lot now. She stops when I go out there, then cries as soon as I come inside. I might spend the night outside with her.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
They sure can be needy huh? Nice to be needed :D =D Still have my fingers crossed for you folk. :fl Hope you have a warm sleeping bag.

purplequeenvt

Herd Master
Reaction score
She ate a bit of dinner, but on the whole she's exhausted. Hoping she can have an uneventful night. More and more, I don't know... I don't know anything.

The Vet is very well respected in the sheep and goat community. His first instinct was that the lambs aren't fully ready to come out yet seems more and more what's going on. Ring womb or whatever it's called is a strong possibility. The thing is, it's so difficult to tell when there are so many variables.

She's crying a lot now. She stops when I go out there, then cries as soon as I come inside. I might spend the night outside with her.

Ok, I wasn't sure if you were the one that said that your vet doesn't really know sheep or if it was someone else recently. Sounds like things are under control for now.

I have a ewe that just started prolapsing a bit. And every time she sees me she calls to me as if I'm her baby. I have a prolapse spoon in her because she kept straining and was getting stressed. I know that she's not due for almost another 3 weeks.

Keep us posted!

Latest posts