Question about nipping baby teeth---UPDATE---I am so proud of myself!

Citylife

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You did it! I am proud of you. Next time will be easier I am sure.

PattySh

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Congrats on the piglets and getting the tooth nipping done! I usually do mine right at the birth, we dry them with a towel and do their teeth then, our sow is pretty calm with us. I was sweating alot more when I castrated the males than when I did the teeth! That's quite a shocker first time out. I'd never seen it done got instructions over the phone and it all went well. Everything is much easier the 2nd time.

Hillsvale

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
good for you... we didn't do our piglets teeth or tails and they all seem just fine, can't imagine getting their little mouths open they are so wiggly.

PattySh

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Even tho we managed to get it done I am seriously considering whether it's worth doing the teeth tho as my friend didn't clip her piglets teeth and her sow was just fine. It isn't fun and I do worry that it hurts the piglets. Can't imaqine doing them any older than newborn, they sure perked up on day 2!! Opinions anyone? Don't do tails, love their tails!

Hillsvale

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
well momma was fine, no booboos and they are 4 months old now and gaining fast so obviously they didn't suffer any loss of milk.

Love the tails too!

drdoolittle

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
It didn't seem like it hurt the piglets---they were squealing from being picked up and held though! I didn't castrate these ones, but will try to work up the courage to castrate the litter Angel is due to have soon. I kind of think it only benefits the males to be castrated. But I sure do love my boar, Bugsy!

Cornish Heritage

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Know I am a little late in on this conversation but in all honesty teeth clipping is NOT needed. The only reason they do it in confinement situations is because they have the pigs in such close quarters the poor things can hardly move.

Tail cutting/banding or however folks choose to do it is not needed either. Pigs were created with tails (& teeth) for a reason. They need both so on a future litter you may want to save yourself the hassle. We are farrowing here regularly (all pasture raised) & I don't think I have ever seen a piglet causing a problem with its teeth. Of course if anyone decides to put their fingers in a piglet's mouth then they are going to get bitten! LOL! Yes those teeth are sharp but the sows don't seem to notice & very very rare do we see a sow with a sore teat.

Liz
www.chventures.com

jhm47

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Clipping the teeth is most definitely needed. It is not done for the comfort of the sow, but to ensure that the babies don't injure each other. When they are nursing, they will often bite the littermates that are nursing on either side of them, and this opens a little wound that allows infections like greasy pig to infect them. When I raised pigs years ago, I would sometimes miss a pig or two in a litter, and the ones that nurse on either side were often the ones that came down with greasy pig. If you observe closely, you'll see that babies are quite territorial, and only want to nurse on certain teats. Believe me, one or two cases of greasy pig will convince you that tooth clipping is needed.

As to the tail clipping---If your pigs are not crowded, it probably isn't necessary. However, if one or two begin to bite tails, you will have a mess on your hands, and will realize why some clip tails.

Cornish Heritage

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Clipping the teeth is most definitely needed.
I have to politely disagree. We have NEVER clipped teeth here & do not have cases of piglets biting each other. We have raised many litters & continue to do so. Now I am not saying that they do not "fight" for dominance on the teats but there's plenty of teats to go round so everyone gets milk when they want it.

As for clipping tails we have never had piglets biting each others tails off either. BUT all our pigs farrow & raise their young on pasture - they are not confined which can make a huge difference. I'm sure breed of pig has a play in all this too but with the 4 breeds we have raised here over the years (Large Blacks, GOS, Red Wattles and Hamps) it has never been a problem.

Liz

Latest posts