Raising a sheep as a pet.

The Curly girl

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Hahaha well I feel bad that he can't stay in the house... Hahaha... I knew he would get big. But it's ok... We could keep him with adult diapers hahaha...but if it is a no go...then I guess I won't be selfish. I just wanted him to feel loved. @Goat Whisperer are your goats outside now?

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
You shouldn't feel bad that he can't stay in the house! I'm pretty sure that as he grows, you'll come to the realization that you no longer WANT him in the house! He will become a large, destructive (indoors), poop and pee machine that can in fact become very aggressive and down right dangerous. You have to understand... this is NOT a puppy... they don't typically become "dog like" and as such are not referred to as "man's best friend". They aren't typical "pets". What you're trying to do is really for you, not the lamb. You can train them to come to you with/for food. And once trained they will typically come to you when they see you, but it's not for "you", it's for the treats/food.

When GW said she's had many goat babies in the house, I think she's just referring to when they're first born to warm them and get them off to a good start if they are weak. Most folks don't intentionally keep their livestock indoors after a couple of weeks... they go back out to join the herd as soon as they are able.

I really hope this works out for you, but as with the care and raising of any animal, it might not always go exactly as you foresee/intend.

The Curly girl

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I totally understand what you mean @Latestarter I know it seems like I want a teddy bear or something... It's not that. It is I want him to be safe...I have obviously grown to love the little guy. I never intended him to really be in the house all his life... I mean now since he is so little I keep him in the house with me. I take him out for walks with my dog and I sometimes leave him outdoors in a little mobile pen. He needs fresh air and all...I'm not meaning to come off as a selfish freak hahaha... I am just concerned cus I wasn't really prepared for the little guy and I know NOTHING of livestock... As you guys can see hahaha... That is why I'm here talking with you lovely people.

I appreciate all your help

bonbean01

Herd Master
Reaction score
Firstly, welcome to BYH! :) Great place for information and help and support from many wonderful people!

Agree that he needs to be castrated and that he needs a friend. Enjoy him in the house now, but get things ready for when he goes outside...would get this baby a friend soon to grow up with.

Sheep are wonderful animals...we have 9 sheep and 5 lambs and waiting on 4 more to lamb. They are all friendly and loving and all the ewes are pets and we try not to get attached to the lambs we aren't keeping...but we do love on them and cuddle them for as long as we have them :)

The Curly girl

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Yes. That is exactly what I will do. I'll enjoy Dingo-Dan and start preparing his future home...and look in to who will be his friend. For now Corona, my dog has been great with him. I don't leave them out alone...but Corona has been very motherly to him. They chase each other and play. I have been so surprised my dog has been that good. But , like I said..I don't leave them alone ... Just in case.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. You have gotten some good advice here. For a companion for your lamb, you might consider another wether (castrated male) for his friend. I live not so far from you in the Tyler area. We bought 4 bred ewes and just had 4 lambs a week ago. I am a sheep newbie too. This is a great forum, full of really nice people.

The Curly girl

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Yes. I've opened my eyes to a lot of things... This is a whole new world to me, so I'm so grateful. @Baymule what kind of sheep do you have? :)

Latest posts