SA Farm's journal

SA Farm

Herd Master
Reaction score
Awesome job on the niddy noddy and the combs!' I've seen some people make the fiber combs using those onion grabber thingies, the tines would probably be thinner than nails.
Thanks! I think those onion things are more for people who don’t have power tools. They probably are thinner than nails and would work just as well, but I suspect they would end up being more expensive and harder to handle than the ones I made. One onion slicer is around 13$ (I checked Amazon) and trying to figure out a handle for them seems like a headache 😝 Without actual handles, I would probably stab myself with them while attempting to use them 😆
My nails and paintbrushes cost me $16 for the set with plenty of nails leftover for other projects (I want to make a hackle, in particular). So, while they aren’t the absolute best for super fine fibre, the price is definitely right, they do the job, and are even tough enough to handle matted fibre (Doll’s fall fleece was rather matted from all the rain we got this summer).
I found combs on Etsy made from the same nails I used that they were asking anywhere from $30-$170 for. Plus shipping!
So glad I finally took the plunge into making combs. Starting out, it always seemed like you could/should only do one or the other (card or comb), not both. I chose carding since I like a woolen prep (mixed direction for a fluffier yarn rather than aligned fibre like you get from worsted prep), but now I comb, then card the combed wool for a woolen prep to get the best of both worlds!
My latest dye project:
IMG_3960.jpeg
And latest spin (plying two together to make the one in the middle):
IMG_3952.jpeg
Ended up being about 266 yards 😃
IMG_3959.jpeg
I intend to make another skein of a neutral beige to go with it and make a cowl for my Mom that I’m hoping to have done by Christmas.
Anyway, enough geeking out about fibre stuff 😂
Animals are good. Hay is in! My new barn holds ~100 bales, so between that and the one that holds ~25, we’re fully stocked for the winter. Yay!
Happy Halloween this week for those of you who enjoy it. DS is obsessed with all things spooky (did not get that trait from me lol) and he can’t wait to dress up and go out on Tuesday.
I decided to get into the season and follow the latest chicken-keeper trend. Their artwork:
IMG_3876.jpeg
Last night’s moon fits the season too:
IMG_2599.jpeg

And before I forget, @Senile_Texas_Aggie asked me to say hello 👋 from him.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
HOLY COW.... soooooooooo VERY GLAD that someone has had contact with @Senile_Texas_Aggie..... when he disappeared right at the covid time I was so afraid that he or his wife had had a tragedy... please tell him HELLO and ask if he would come back and catch us up???? Does he still have the farm and what have they been up to??? MISS his posts and mishaps....

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Please geek out a little more often. I admire your work, you are so talented! Beautiful work, can’t wait to see what you make with it!

Tell STA that he sure is missed. Most of all, tell him thanks for letting us know he is ok.

SA Farm

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yeah, STA commented on one of my YouTube videos since I recently started posting them again. If he comments again, I’ll pass on your well-wishes and requests for his return or a visit here again 😊

Fall is well underway. Sheep are currently in their last section to graze before moving in for the winter.
We finally had a heavy frost a week or so ago and the winds and rains have begun in earnest.
IMG_3995.jpeg
Frosted plants are so pretty!

Yesterday Dingo marked Doll, so no Ram Ram babies next year. Based on the timeline, he either just missed her cycle or he didn’t settle her. Probably for the best anyway, but it would’ve helped my resolve not to keep any lambs next year. The plan is to only keep as needed to prevent me from becoming overrun 😂 Five really is a good number for me. I think I could handle six, but any more than that and I’d need more help than the occasional grudging hand from DH 😝
IMG_4028.jpeg

I just finished plying the other skein I’m going to use for the cowl. I’m thinking a granny square pattern with a hood could be fun. I’ll be sure to post pics if it turns out 😂
IMG_4034.jpeg
Here’s the Google pic I’m planning to base it on:
IMG_4035.jpeg
Probably won’t do the drawstring part, and only use the blue and natural colour I’ve got prepped, but if I can get it to look something like that I’ll be happy.

Latest posts