SageHill Ranch Journal

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
The rain water carrying minute traces of nitrogen is why SNOW (a dreaded word to all the southern folk) is called the poor man's fertilizer.

And rain naturally washes off leaves which allow for more and better photosynthesis...
Nitrogen and clean leaves --- next thing I know the veggies will be asking for a spa day! :lol:
Ah - yes - snow makes sense as well -- I moved away from the fluffy white stuff a long long time ago!! Shoveled one to many driveways and skied to school one too many times. ;)

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
We're back to begorgeous weather finally 50-something in the morning, high to 80ish in the afternoon. I'm sure there's at least one more September Scorcher out there before the super weather sets in.
With the good weather back so are dog lessons. Taught detection (aka nosework) on Wednesday and herding on Thursday. This morning I kept for my dogs. Obi is happy to be back to light work, Ree did very nicely. The two puppies were amazing. Both are all about work and not bite. YES. They will be great trustworthy workers.
Of the new sheep I'm pretty sure that one has lamb(s) on the way she's getting bigger/rounder and a tiny touch of a bag. That's the big white one (I believe to be a white dorper). The black one seems to be getting rounder. I'll try to grab some pics later or maybe tomorrow.
The peas I planted are popping up. Some did and WERE along the fence in front of the barn, operative word WERE. I think some critter(s) 🐰🐇 had midnight snacks on me :barnie I've got a bunch in pots with mesh baskets on top of the pots. So far so good and they are popping their little green leaves and tiny tendrils up. No luck with the long beans yet. These are all just for us (fresh, freezer, and canner).

Only pics I have today are the puppies learning to work the sheep. Working each of them just put a big smile on my face.
This is the female - "Twinnie"
IMG_2707.jpeg

And this is the male - "Zo" who is 10 days younger than Twinnie
IMG_2719.jpeg

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
Worked the pups again today but moved into the big arena - they were both great. I'm really liking how they are both coming along. My goal is to have them ready for open field grazing by January. A bit bold, but ya' gotta have a target if you want to get any where.
So here's a pic of the new sheep -- the big white one - second from the left I ~believe is pregnant. The black one might be. The other two I'm guessing are not. Time will tell.
SO -- sheep experts - I was told they are all Dorpers. Yes? No? Maybe? Some?
IMG_2737.jpeg

And - the crazy way I can hopefully keep the peas safe from marauding 🐰 resorting to pots
and waste baskets :lol:
IMG_2736.jpeg

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'm not an expert at breeds but they do look more Katahdin than Dorper. Either way, they have a lot of potential.
That's what I was thinking - Dorper crosses - and Katahdin YUP -- that sounds more like it.
I have a feeling the Dorpers are the "in breed" at the moment and anything remotely dorper is called that. When I saw the first pic before I bought them I said they look more like crosses to me. The gal said no - but they were her first sheep so I figured she was just saying what she was told. I bought them anyway because I need sheep and they looked healthy and young.