Saw the grossest thing in the world.... please tell me this is normal!

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
I do have to say that this thread is hilarious! :lol:

Oh, borax added to your laundry soap will help remove bucky odors from clothes.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
And they will pee on their faces so much that sometimes they will get little raw spots from the acidity in the pee.

junkprospector

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
soooo - i'm new to goats, we're picking ours up this weekend... and after reading this thread, i'm pretty sure we'll never have bucks. They sure do look good, but i think the buckiness of them would deter keeping any other goats. I guess we'll just keep does and have them bred.

Godsgrl

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
junkprospector said:
soooo - i'm new to goats, we're picking ours up this weekend... and after reading this thread, i'm pretty sure we'll never have bucks. They sure do look good, but i think the buckiness of them would deter keeping any other goats. I guess we'll just keep does and have them bred.
Well, I'll put it this way....I'd rather be sprayed by a skunk than go anywhere near a buck goat. Their odor is just horrid. :sick

AshleyFishy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Well luckily they normally only do this in the fall. (Depending on breed and temperature)

So the rest of the year they smell like any other goat. Also having your own buck reduces you bringing home diseases and parasites from the stud's farm...or what happened to me years ago was I took two girls to be bred and the guy was dishonest and stole them.

WhiteMountainsRanch

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
SuburbanFarmChic said:
Not only will they swallow that mouth full but sometimes they'll walk up and spray/spit it at you instead... Fun times!
:th :ep :lol:

This thread is TOO funny!!! At least I got honest answers and I know my goats are normal! :gig

AshleyFishy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
We should have a grossest buck photo contest. Not like bucks in action photos... but just so people can see just how :sick these guy get while in rut.

Might be good reference for people wanting to buy their own buck.

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
Godsgrl said:
junkprospector said:
Well, I'll put it this way....I'd rather be sprayed by a skunk than go anywhere near a buck goat. Their odor is just horrid. :sick
Smell is subjective though. Our buck was a really strong musky odor that wasn't overly offensive. But, yeah, some can get pretty horrid smelling.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have owned 3 bucks (2 right now) and the smell doesn't really bother me. Yes, they have a distinctive odor, but you get used to it. I do make sure that I don't rub on them and then go and sit on my furniture; those clothes go into the laundry and the odor seems to come out of the clothes.

We are trimming buck feet tonight so I will be well doused with buck in rut smell by the end of the night. My dogs will love me.

Chevoner

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I like Ashley's idea; I'll probably be keeping bucks for my herd and it'd be nice to see first how 'bad' they can be.
I've heard various opinions on buck odors, so it'd be nice if we could use "smell-o-vision" too. :lol:

Latest posts