Selling rabbits

Fishychix

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
It appears it is just because they LOOK like wild rabbits... but they can't breed with the wild ones so I don't know why that would be a big deal.
Im pretty sure they can breed. How would they not be able to?

BooksAndChooks

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Im pretty sure they can breed. How would they not be able to?
They are different species (and different genuses). Domestic rabbits are descended from the wild European rabbit, genus Oryctolagus. Native North American leporids are all genus Sylvilagus (cottontails) or genus Lepus (jackrabbits and hares). So domestic and wild European rabbits may interbreed, but domestic rabbits don’t successfully breed with wild North American rabbits, jackrabbits, or hares.

Kusanar

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure they can breed. How would they not be able to?
Domesticated rabbits are European rabbits, they aren't actually the same kind of rabbit as the North American ones we have wild here and can't breed.

This site states:
"Pet rabbits are of the genus and species Oryctolagus cuniculus; they are also known as “European rabbits” because they are native to Europe. The fourteen species of wild rabbits and the four species of hares in America belong to the genera (ie genuses) Sylvilagus (which includes cottontails) and Lepus (which includes jackrabbits), respectively.

That means that our domesticated rabbits, if released into the wild, cannot cross breed with wild rabbits or hares, because they are different species and genera, so there is no possibility of mating. They thus cannot disrupt the local ecosystem."

Fishychix

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
They are different species (and different genuses). Domestic rabbits are descended from the wild European rabbit, genus Oryctolagus. Native North American leporids are all genus Sylvilagus (cottontails) or genus Lepus (jackrabbits and hares). So domestic and wild European rabbits may interbreed, but domestic rabbits don’t successfully breed with wild North American rabbits, jackrabbits, or hares.
Learn something new everyday 🥰🥰

Larsen Poultry Ranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
1) I dont know about pedigree. Can you fill me in please? Years ago my sons rexes came with a “pedigree”, but it was just a family tree. Is that all there is to it?

2) So awesome you have them, too!🥰. I have never heard of this breed until last year when I started looking for standard rexes again.

3) i updated with a bit more detail. Aside from being bred to train hunting dogs, there arent many things I know about them. I should probably not include that detail though, lol.

Id be happy to learn any information you have about either breed, but especially the blues.
Pedigree is the family tree, usually with tattoo/name, weight, color, photo, genotype/phenotype, etc. Some have more info than others. Depends on the breeder. There are several apps that can track the pedigree for you, but you have to remember to add the info and keep good records.

Fishychix

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Domesticated rabbits are European rabbits, they aren't actually the same kind of rabbit as the North American ones we have wild here and can't breed.

This site states:
"Pet rabbits are of the genus and species Oryctolagus cuniculus; they are also known as “European rabbits” because they are native to Europe. The fourteen species of wild rabbits and the four species of hares in America belong to the genera (ie genuses) Sylvilagus (which includes cottontails) and Lepus (which includes jackrabbits), respectively.

That means that our domesticated rabbits, if released into the wild, cannot cross breed with wild rabbits or hares, because they are different species and genera, so there is no possibility of mating. They thus cannot disrupt the local ecosystem."
Oh wow! Too weird! Your timestamp is right at the same time ad booksandchooks, but I did not see it until just now.
Thanks for the info 🥰

Fishychix

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Pedigree is the family tree, usually with tattoo/name, weight, color, photo, genotype/phenotype, etc. Some have more info than others. Depends on the breeder. There are several apps that can track the pedigree for you, but you have to remember to add the info and keep good records.
Gotcha. Thanks! I printed templates of records sheets, but its good to know “theres an app for that” (lol). Mine wont have much info at all then 🤣. I know the parents of my adults, but didnt pay extra for their pedigree. Also, the guy didnt tattoo. I will, as soon as I get up the nerve.

Fishychix

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Ugh! Im getting very frustrated with finding a reliable source for their feed. I have two stores by me that sell rabbit food of decent quality, but one never seems to have the same stuff in stock and TSC focuses mainly on Manna Pro and Purina. Im looking at chewy right now, but .... eh. What do you all feed? Ive been trying to stick with Kent.

Larsen Poultry Ranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
Ugh! Im getting very frustrated with finding a reliable source for their feed. I have two stores by me that sell rabbit food of decent quality, but one never seems to have the same stuff in stock and TSC focuses mainly on Manna Pro and Purina. Im looking at chewy right now, but .... eh. What do you all feed? Ive been trying to stick with Kent.
Mine are picky, I actually have a doe that stopped eating when I switched feeds. I feed Bar Ale, but it's 22.99/ 50 lbs. Can you check near you to see if there's a feed mill? Might be able to get them to make feed for you if you buy in x quantity.