Shelly Hoof?

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Guess I will be heading back to get Bo-Se, too.

BoSe is Rx. If you get an appt with the vet in December this is something you will need to ask for. You should have this on hand.
Meanwhile Jeffers pet does sell a paste although not at Rx strength.

A few things to ask the vet about is also having Banamine on hand and a RX antibiotic.

I do not raise sheep ( I raise goats but have had sheep) however I do know that it is almost the "norm" for sheep farmers to give Selenium at lambing.
The issue is when you need it you need it.

IMO- the lambs hooves look fine. They may need a little trimming but they are not looking like they have hoof wall separation to the point of causing a lame lamb.

Hang in there. :hugs

norseofcourse

Herd Master
Reaction score
I hope the little guy improves soon! I can't imagine how frustrating it would be without a sheep vet around.

Is he eating? How much? Is he chewing cud? You need to make sure his rumen doesn't start shutting down. Eating hay and fibery stuff and chewing cud is good!

Hawaiianhighlandsfarm

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Oh he has had no appetite problems, lol! As long as I keep it in front of him. And he is drinking good. I roll him on his side and stretch his legs out and rub them every 4 hours. He's been ruminating just fine. Gave him the nutri-drench and am going to the health food store to try and find quality selenium. Does anybody know the dose for a 40lb sheep?

Sheepshape

Herd Master
Reaction score
That hoof looks pretty normal to me. Does the hoof stink? (Footrot smells awful)
Was the area between the cloves normal ?(no white areas indicative of scald).
What is the top of the hoof (where it attaches to the leg) look like? Here Contagious Ovine Digital Dermatitis (CODD) would be a common cause of lameness. Unlike footrot the top of the hoof is affected and the treatment is quite different.
Hopefully he's getting better in any case.

Last edited: