shes not eating????

newton the goat

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Newton has recently started having a dwindling appetite. She's not sick and I can sometimes get her to eat on her own, but as of the past few days she won't touch her feed on her own. I spent most of the other day in her pen with her and saw her food was barely touched all day. Sometimes she would go an nose it around, grab some hay and act like she is going to eat it and the put it down.... she's drinking still and will eat bits and pieces from my hands... how worried should I be?

samssimonsays

Milo & Me Hoppy Tail Acres
Reaction score
somewhere in the Northern region of Minnesota

newton the goat

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
@Southern by choice @Goat Whisperer @Ferguson K @frustratedearthmother are all great resources.

She is how close to her due date? 2 weeks now? I have not made it that far in a goat pregnancy yet so I am not sure how worried to be. I know they tend to lose their appetites when they get close to labor some times but not sure.
She's two weeks at most.... I'm staring to think a bit sooner by the behaviour she has been showing the past few days.... but I've never dealt with a pregnant goat so I could be wrong. I have tried switching up her feed.... but she won't really touch it still.... except as soon as the chicken feed bin is open she will try to push me out of the way to " investigate" -_-

samssimonsays

Milo & Me Hoppy Tail Acres
Reaction score
somewhere in the Northern region of Minnesota
Definitely don't let her get any of the chicken feed. It is very bad for goats and can be deadly. I would assume she is getting close to delivering but I can't be sure. The others will chime in when they come online with more knowledge. :)

Calendula

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I hope everything is alright with her. I've only dealt with a single kidding, but she didn't stop eating until the day that she gave birth. And even then, she hate her grain, just not her alfalfa pellets or hay.

I would give my opinion, but I'd rather see what the others say. :)
I'm wondering... is that a sign of pregnancy toxemia...?

newton the goat

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Definitely don't let her get any of the chicken feed. It is very bad for goats and can be deadly. I would assume she is getting close to delivering but I can't be sure. The others will chime in when they come online with more knowledge. :)
I make sure she doesn't but damn does she know how to use those horns when she isn't happy with me :confused: she is definitly acting different than last week when she was all cuddly and cute :( now she's a raging sack of horns and hormones and she is expressing her dislike of her situation. Urgh already have new bruises ... where did my cuddly goat go? (She still is at times but her mood switches quickly)

newton the goat

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I hope everything is alright with her. I've only dealt with a single kidding, but she didn't stop eating until the day that she gave birth. And even then, she hate her grain, just not her alfalfa pellets or hay.

I would give my opinion, but I'd rather see what the others say. :)
I'm wondering... is that a sign of pregnancy toxemia...?
That's what I'm scared of.... so really hope it isn't

newton the goat

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
That is what I dislike about horned goats.... They know how to use them.

I was thinking similar to @Calendula but I have no clue for any other symptoms. I know others are going to ask for photos of her udder and vulva as well as any other symptoms she is having.
I have read over many threads and looked at pictures of goats close to birthing, she looks similar and all I'm really waiting for is the mucus plug. Like her vulva is puffy and her udder has developed a lot more than before though not as much as I would have liked it to be. And she is restless as hell...

Calendula

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I agree. Others are going to ask for pictures. :) Those would be very helpful.
Did you check her ligaments?
I'm still only going off of the single kidding I had last year. And my months of reading. :lol: But I know she acted differently before she gave birth. I know they can also "talk" to themselves, they'll stare into the distance, and generally act different than normal.
Maybe being mean is her way of telling you to get out so she can give birth. :hu

I found this link on Fias Co Farms about pregnancy toxemia:
https://fiascofarm.com/goats/ketosis.htm
Hopefully that can help until others can get on.

Latest posts