Show Sheep Beginnings

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Cassandra must be the registered owner and "Exhibitor". This means that all the animals will be entered under her name as the owner and exhibitor. "Exhibitor" in this case means the person entering the animal in the show, not necessarily the only one taking the animal into the ring. Her brothers can show her animals in the youth ring for her if she is unavailable, incapacitated (like poor Show Sebright with her broken foot), or is showing another animal in the same class. If she is going to be showing in Fairs where premium money is offered, it is better to keep all sheep in her name so that you can enter breeding groups where these classes are offered - "Bred By Exhibitor", "Produce of Dam", "Get of Sire", "Junior Flock", and "Senior Flock". These are the money classes where all animals must be owned by one exhibitor, or bred by one exhibitor. Because fewer kids have multiple animals or breeding flocks, there is less competition in these classes and thus more chance at the prize money. Remember that the "Breeder" of an animal is the owner of the animal's mother at the time of birth and is the owner of the baby. When you register the animal it will be registered into her name as the breeder until she (or you as her agent) transfers ownership to another person. The only class where the person showing the animal MUST be the owner is showmanship.

Still trying to figure out how to transfer my photos to my computer. :he

Margali

Herd Master
Reaction score
Still confused...
So for showmanship class, I need to update ownership to Cassndra. What happens if Dominic also wants to try PeeWee showmanship this year? Is that why I saw owners as sister OR brother in database?

For breeding shows, the sheep must be bred on your farm and registered purebred? If so, I wont have any of sheep suitable for several years. :(

BrahmerQueen

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Still confused...
So for showmanship class, I need to update ownership to Cassndra. What happens if Dominic also wants to try PeeWee showmanship this year? Is that why I saw owners as sister OR brother in database?

For breeding shows, the sheep must be bred on your farm and registered purebred? If so, I wont have any of sheep suitable for several years. :(
This should be in the show rules if it is required none of the shows here are like that tho

Margali

Herd Master
Reaction score
This should be in the show rules if it is required none of the shows here are like that tho
I'm finding save the date type flyers for various shows. But when I look up the organization like Bonham FFA Alumni, I don't find anymore info. I just joined a Texas Show Goat & Sheep group on FB. Hopefully they are kind with questions.🤞

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
IMG_7210.JPGIMG_7208.JPGIMG_7209.JPG
Finally got these photos to load up but can't find the rotate option for the last two. Sorry. This is a nice size sturdy poly toolbox, with large wheels for dirt and uneven ground, and a pull-out handle to pull it with. You can get them at Lowes or Home Depot. There is a usable lift out tray in the top for small items, and the bottom is large enough to store the larger show and grooming supplies, your purse, your registration notebook, entry paperwork, kids' sweaters or jackets, and snacks. Fairs require you to present the original registration papers issued by the breed association at check in so you will need to bring your registration binder. They will not accept copies unless they are faxed direct from the breed association to the Fair livestock office. The 2 latches on the front are designed to take either small clips or padlocks. It is sturdy enough for kids to sit on. This size is about what you will need to start with. LOL With 3 kids you will soon find that you will need several of these but by then the kids will be able to drag their own tack boxes with them, or you will have enough animals to get 2 pens and use one for your feed and tack. If you take the fitting stand to the Fair remember that only children are allowed to fit the sheep on the showgrounds. If an adult does it there may be complaints and disqualification since it is a YOUTH show. Since she will start off showing just one lamb, do all the prep work at home and leave the stanchion behind. Eventually when your kids are used to doing their own pre work, they may decide to take fitting stands to do the final touch ups at the Fair.

I recommend getting one of the stretchy lamb coats used for market lambs since putting it on the lamb after she is bathed and dry and wearing it before the show will keep the lamb clean. They come in purple too. Look online. This size box will hold all your beginning supplies. You will need a wheeled cooler for drinks and lunches. If you plan to do any grooming at the show, you will need your portable sheep fitting stand.

Notice that I recommend getting everything with wheels. The pens can be a LOOOONG way from the parking lot and you will be taking the cooler home each night and returning with it refilled each morning. Having it on wheels is so much easier than carrying a cooler full of ice and drinks. I also used a long chain with a padlock to chain the stanchion/fitting stand, tack box, and chairs, up at night and run the chain through the bars of the pen. You will not want to drag your equipment home every night and back every morning. I am not very trusting, so locking up the equipment kept other people honest. An easy way to keep the tack key on your person at all times is to get one of those spring keyrings that act like a bracelet. You can give additional keys to the kids, but always keep the master on your wrist. I put the car keys and tack key on the stretchy bracelet keyring to avoid having to carry anything around. You will find that your hands will be full with the items your kids shove at you as they enter the showring and your phone to take photos so the less you have to hang onto the better. LOL

One other thing you might like to do is to make a sign with your flock name on it for the front of your pen. Sometimes Fairs will offer classes for informational displays at your pens and ribbons for best decorated or cleanest pens. These are fun extras for the kids to do before the Fair.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Each show has its own local rules, as well as abiding by the State Rules. You need a copy of the State Rules anyway, but the individual show entry catalog classes should tell you the requirements for each class. Some Pee Wee classes may allow a younger sibling to do showmanship with a family member's animal for fun and practice. Fairs with premium money prizes are very strict. However, often breed shows put on by the specific breed association include classes with more relaxed rules to get the children involved. They hope to get more youth participation because it is good for the breed.

If you don't have registered animals, look for "Grade" classes to enter. Many shows, particularly youth shows, offer grade classes. Grade classes are for animals that are not registered. Kids with "grade" entries are eligible for showmanship as well since the showmanship class is being judged on how well the child presents the animal, the grooming & cleanliness of the animal (and child), rather than conformation of the animal.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
I just joined a Texas Show Goat & Sheep group on FB. Hopefully they are kind with questions.
Most show organizations and breeders are very kind to beginners since they are trying to encourage entries and participation. Putting on livestock shows is a lot of work and these people do it for love since shows cost lots of money to put on and often run at a loss or barely break even. Feel free to ask any and all questions - no one will make you feel bad about it. Tell them you are just starting out and need help understanding the catalog and the entries. They will help you. The FFA Alumni show is a case in point. They probably don't have a large organization since they may be affiliated with a particular school. Future Farmers of America is usually in schools, where 4-H is an organization whose members are primarily independent members from the community. Most breed societies have youth divisions with activities for members under 18.

Even Fairs have a budget for premium money (monetary awards per class usually payable up to 3rd place) that is based on entry size. When we had our local Fair and wanted more dairy goat show entries, I had to scare up the premium money myself by getting donations from organizations, etc. I started as soon as the Fair ended sending out begging letters for the next year. We were able to get money for class premiums and also gift certificates, mugs, books, etc. from various organizations that were handed out as trophies. Lot of work, but worth it to make sure we had a youth dairy goat show with enough entries. Our dairy goat show became very popular.

Premiums (prize money awards) are only awarded in breeding classes. Market classes don't offer premiums since the kids sell their project animals at the Youth Auction. Kids selling market animals are encouraged to send out letters to various businesses to obtain bidders/buyers for their animals. The more bidders the more $$ the animals bring. In the Youth Auctions often you can put "add ons" on specific animals to give the kids a bit more money. Since the Youth Auction is usually run through the Youth Booster club and has non-profit status, the amount you add on is tax deductible. In fact, if you buy an animal at a Youth Auction you will be paying a lot more than the market price for that meat animal. Whatever you pay over the current market price for that species is also tax deductible since it is considered a donation to the child through the non-profit Youth Auction.

Breeding shows at Fairs are usually open to youth exhibitors from outside the area, but the market animal divisions are strictly limited to youth residing in the county or Agricultural District putting on the Fair. This is because there are a limited number of buyers for the market animals and if outside-the-area youth were allowed to bring in animals to the auction the prices would drop for the resident kids since outside-the-area kids don't usually bring any buyers with them. Wouldn't be fair to the resident kids.