suddenly sick goat

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
My guess is she has coccidia and parasites.
Get a fecal done.
Did you ever follow up with the dewormer?

Is the "lump" a lump or swelling... is it only on one side or both?

Moody

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Her eyelids are never bright pink. I can definitely give her some in an hour. Valbazen I give at 1ml per 10 pounds. I've never dosed those dewormers 3 days in a row like the pelleted dewormer says to do.

And like I said she is always thin even with the previous owner. I always chalked it up to her putting everything into her milk.

I can give her safeguard this morning before I try to get a sample for fecal. If it is like you all think, I should start with that as something lighter.

Moody

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Hopefully I can find a vet who does a better job of fecals because the last guy just recommended every 2-3 months no matter what. I think he said to switch it up between two different ones. Plus he did qualative and not quantative. Also he may have been the only one within 30 miles who even did them. I did have to call around.

Moody

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I will also pick up some alfalfa hay and cut some elm limbs for her.

Moody

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
And the diarrhea pops up every spring in 2-3 goats out of 16 goats because a few will eat the milk weed from the neighbors side or any I miss on my side.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Valbazen I give at 1ml per 10 pounds. I've never dosed those dewormers 3 days in a row like the pelleted dewormer says to do.

You do NOT give valbazen 3 days in a row.

Although there is a chart showing a higher dosage ... most stick with 5 to 8 mls per 100lbs. You should check with your vet

Safeguard is 3-5 days in a row.

Moody

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
oh I have never done any 3 consequetive days except pelleted safeguard.

Vet said same thing you did. Coccidia and heavy parasite infestation. I have sulfur bolus. 2 today and one the next two days. He said to heavy deworm using a white dewormer and another like ivomectin or cydectin at the same time. And he also said that about only 3 days for specifically safeguard. He noted that around here the dewormers aren't as effective anymore.

Vets here recommend a strict schedule which is nothing like I read in many spots about using famancha and only using chemical dewormers when necessary.

Moody

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Thank you all for all your help. I thought I could use do-method to prevent and treat but vet had not heard of it.

Di-Methox. Autocorrect

Last edited:

Moody

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
An I thought one didn't want to heavily deworm a heavily infested goat and the sudden death and elimination of worms could cause intestinal bleeding and too much blood lose from such worms releasing all at one time.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Often when I hear that a dewormer is no longer effective in certain area two things come to mind...

Is the dewormer being used properly with correct dosages (usually not)
If it truly is ineffective it is because of the improper use of it (see above) and irresponsible use has caused this.

I know the double dewormer with two classes is now suggested but personally I have mixed feelings on this.
I would be concerned about bleed out and just hitting the system so hard van cause other issues as well.

I would prefer one class... wait 10 days and give a second class.

GIVING PROBIOS IMO IS CRUCIAL with high worm loads.

Unless fecals are being run to see the efficacy of the dewormer one will never know. You want to see a 95% reduction.

There are reasons why some are still pro- schedule.

Latest posts