suddenly sick goat

Moody

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
He actually said 1ml/30 pounds of the safeguard and the highest I have seen was 1ml/34 pounds.

I'm sure this method of famancha checking works but I think it takes more experience and really attentive farmers to really make it work as well as the field rotation, which I cannot really do at this point.

Would you give 5 ml of probios every day for a few days? I gave some yesterday. I figured it wouldn't hurt even before you told me it was my poor management that is causing her issues. It is just these two American Nubians. The rest of my goats apparently have a better natural parasite resistance as well are just hardier overall. Now I have all these kids off these two adults and I know these kids are going to need a lot of maintenance.

Moody

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
This vet would have to send it away for quantative so I am not going to know the load reduction.

Moody

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I feel pretty inadequate with regards to these goats. Today she spit those pills out at least 8 times. Despite my shoving the bolus gun far back (apparently not far enough) and keeping her head tilted back and holding her mouth shut. Would be funny if it were not me trying to get it done!

Moody

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Also this is contagious. I know coccidia is normal for adults to shed some and mostly dangerous for kids. Hence the prevention. I have 7 kids that have been around her. And I have 5 other goats aged 1 -3 that were also with her. I have separated her into her own pen where she has free feed and free alfalfa hay. But do I need to treat the others for coccidia? I will automatically deworm them all. And the kids had di-methox 40% .5 cc for 7 days at 3 weeks then once a week since.

The rest all have better body condition. But adults were all dewormed around the same time 2 months ago and the kids have not been dewormed at all yet.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'm sure this method of famancha checking works but I think it takes more experience and really attentive farmers to really make it work

If you can check out you county and surrounding counties extension services many offer classes on parasite management and FAMACHA traing. When you have the card in hand it is much better and more effective. We use our card on every goat! We teach others with the card so they have an understanding becuase without it people generally gauge everything by white- near death or pink - looks ok and that is not accurate. When I am just hanging out with my goats I don't have card in hand but sometimes I'll just flip a lid and check here and there. It is just about checking more often.

He actually said 1ml/30 pounds of the safeguard and the highest I have seen was 1ml/34 pounds
If safeguard (fenbendazole) is given at that dose it will make them resistant because it is similar to giving a baby aspirin to a 200lb man with a toothache- IOW ineffective.
I am thinking your vet doesn't do goats.

Would you give 5 ml of probios every day for a few days?
What kind of probios? We use the powder and mix with water ...
A friend of mine had a goat on deaths door...literally down and looked like it wouldn't make it through the night. She drenched with powdermixed with water probios at 20cc 3x that day and she gave one last drench at midnight... goat was up walking around the next morning. This goat had HIGH load and was treated with valbazen.

I figured it wouldn't hurt even before you told me it was my poor management that is causing her issues.
Understanding that management practices change over time and should. Whether, years of goats, numbers of goats ... all that makes a difference. Minerals, especially copper helps keep parasites in check.

You can have healthy hardy resistant stock but IF that gets out of balance then those animals with have a rough go...
When they are in a "bad" place parasite and health wise it takes time... sometimes a year or even two to get things back on track.
Don't give up, it may take a bit of time but you can get there.
Learning how to do your own fecals would be highly beneficial to you. You will want to do them often until you can see what is working and what needs to change.
Remember most dewormers only kill 4th stage so not following up will make things worse.

Sounds to me like you are "on it" now and perseverance will make a difference.:) Cocci preventative is pretty important and something to add to your kidding season regimen.

Moody

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I do the preventative for the kids. Just wondering if I actually should treat all adults in that field....

I have the probios gel. I don't have a drenching gun but I could get some electrolytes in her with a syringe. She isn't drinking much despite fresh water twice a day and electrolyte water available. She did eat some alfalfa hay. I also give copper once a year.

Moody

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
And I will dose dewormer again 10 days from today. Assuming she makes it.

Moody

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
1 ml /30 lbs is still too low? I have the safeguard for goats and I think it said 2.9 ml for 120 pound goat.

Moody

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
That vet also recommended corid as he had never heard of di-methox