suddenly sick goat

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
I do the preventative for the kids. Just wondering if I actually should treat all adults in that field....

I have the probios gel. I don't have a drenching gun but I could get some electrolytes in her with a syringe. She isn't drinking much despite fresh water twice a day and electrolyte water available. She did eat some alfalfa hay. I also give copper once a year.
We use a large 60cc syringe to drench with.
NEVER leave electrolytes in water outside or out period. It should just be drenched. The heat causes bad bacteria to grow rapidly and can do serious harm.

1 ml /30 lbs is still too low? I have the safeguard for goats and I think it said 2.9 ml for 120 pound goat.
The dosage on the bottle even though it says for goats is actually labelled for cattle.
That dose is useless.
Most goat vetssay 1ml to 10 lbs

That vet also recommended corid as he had never heard of di-methox
seriously :th

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
Go to HorsePreRace.com and order Toltrazuril for coccidia

Edited:
At least for the kids and Jrs. If it is a doe in milk there isn't any data on withdrawal for milk use.
Of course if she is in bad shape you may want to think about getting her well and drying her off.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
I agree with @OneFineAcre you should look into the toltrazuril.
However vets do not all agree on the spacing of administering it as a preventative.

When it is already in coccidiosis stage ( meaning clinical) I still think di-methox is best.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
Unfortunately I am not having good luck with toltrazuril for treating kids that are already scouring. I have also had it clear up and come back in 2 weeks. I have a friend here that has the same experience. Di-methox is what I used to use for cocci and I may have to go back to that, at least for kids that are already symptomatic. I have not done prevention this year. :hide You can not buy the poweded Di-methox without a prescription but at least for now you can still get the injectable OTC.

Moody

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
That first goat is looking so much better. Her stools have solidified, she is eating and she wants her kids back.

I will hit her with another round of dewormer 10 days after the first round. I have dewormed them all with valbazen. Except the 2 Goats I milk daily and I will get those two today.

Moody

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I will get all the others with cydectin as well. My fields are infested I am sure.

Moody

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Oh except my cydectin is for sheep. Vet said to use sheep dosage on the bottle which is 1ml/11 lbs.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
If you used valbazen then I'd wait the 3 weeks.
That dosage for the cydectin is accurate and you need accuracy with it. Some go higher for goats but I think the sheep dosage is fine.