Sweetened's 2016 kidding thread

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'd leave it be for now. I don't usually go in until I see active labor - and by that I mean good hard pushes and goopy stuff dripping out. At that point, if I suspect a problem I'll do what I call a 'finger sweep' just to check for dilation and/or presentation.

A couple of years ago I had a doe go over 36 hours with NO ligaments and no serious signs of impending delivery except for an occasional grunt and a slight push. I really thought this doe was in trouble even though she showed no serious signs of distress other than her obvious discomfort. After a solid 30+ hours I gave it to God and went to bed. I had the monitor on so when I got up the next morning and didn't hear baby sounds I loaded my gun....went out to do the deed and was presented with two beautiful babies that she had delivered all by herself on her own good time. Whew!

But, as HDM posted - you know your goats and I don't think it would hurt to do a quick check.

Fingers crossed for a non-dramatic delivery!

Sweetened

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thanks guys, Ill leave her for now then. I did a finger sweep to see if we had ringwomb happening again. Evening primrose helped a little with Gardenia, but not enough to save her from a csection. Shes wide open, ready to go.

I really dont know these girls that well, theyre still new to me. However, daisy is always quiet, calm, wise and hungry, and that hasnt changed. Still only that little bit of white discharge, likely a plug im guessing, and thats it, not super goopy inside either, not even a waterbag in finger range, so the kid (im guessing only one, despite being a triplet deliverer) isnt engaged. She does a lot of arching to reposition, but other than that, no pushes at all.

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hope Daisy & Mable are doing okay. :hugs

I agree with the others on Daisy. They can have "missing" ligs for a while before they kid.

Is Mable (love the name!) out in the barn or somewhere warm? I know you said you have a heat lamb, I'm wondering if it isn't warm enough. How cold is it over there?
What are/have you been giving her?

Bunny is doing fantastic, thanks for asking :)
She went to her new farm in September. I miss her dearly. She is very happy and is with her 1/2 sister. The family has been spoiling her just as I do ;) They are in love!

Hoping its smooth sailing from here on out! :hugs

Sweetened

Herd Master
Reaction score
About mable: she is in the house. Her back legs seem weak, she has developed awful smelling mustard and sometimes bloody diarrhea. Sometimes she can walk, other times not. She is drinking her mothers milk as im milking her, she had colostrum, is having it supplemented with raw cow as needed.

Daisy: twins, one mostly white, some cream buckling, one gold with white poll doeling.

Doeling came fine, buckling not so much. Feet, head bent back and twisted. I may have hurt daisy adjusting him as shes bleeding. Not profusely, but more than normal. May have dislodged the afterbirth a bit. Tell you what... no room to work in these girls.

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
Congrats on the twins. Hope Daisy will okay! :hugs

When Leah had her quads we needed a vet to pull them. Poor Leah was 45 lbs, and pretty small back there. The vet has HUGE HUGE hands....like at least 3 times the size of mine. Still not sure how he was able to stick his hand up there :eek: Poor doe. As far as I know she doesn't have any issues. She bred & took the first time. She is due in about 10 daya (day 145) so we shall see.

So sorry you have been having a rough time with your goats :( :hugs:hugs:hugs