Sweetened's 2016 kidding thread

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I hate losing an animal, it hurts. Please don't blame yourself for this, you are a kind and loving goatie mamma. Sometimes no matter what you do, it just all goes wrong. Why do we keep doing this when the pain of loss hurts so bad? Because the joy of when it all goes right dries the tears of grief and puts gladness back in our hearts.

Your daughter will learn so much from you. She will learn how to overcome adversity and she will learn how to treasure every moment of life. Your daughter is blessed to have you for her mother.

sadieml

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
x2

@Sweetened - You are a treasure. Your goaties, and far more importantly, your family are so blessed to have you. What a darling. No doubt Gardenia went happy since she was so very loved, and she had her little one with her. I am of the opinion (and I will not be swayed) that since the Bible clearly mentions animals in Heaven, and since the Old Testament word for an animal as a living "thing" and a human as a living "soul" are the same word in Hebrew, that animals go to Heaven. Gardenia is there now singing your praises. You are a wonderful Mom, goatie and otherwise. Please know that we all continue to support you in prayer, and we will be here for you come what may. God bless you, Sweetened.:hugs

edited for stupid spelling boo-boo

Last edited:

Sweetened

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thanks guys.

Mable has a snotty nose this morning, but dod have a drink.

No real progress on Daisy. Still no ligs, has a small bit of pure white discharge thats been on her vulva since about 9:30 last night, Udder is still growing and is lovely looking. Only now has she hollowed out, and shes been flagging a lot. Have yet to see a contraction or push or fluid or anything so, havent intervened. Shes eating, annoyed that shes in a pen and generally not out of sorts.

goats&moregoats

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Sweetened, I am terribly sorry for your losses:(. Hope Mable continues to do well. I also hope the rest of your herd kids with no issues. My prayers are with you.

samssimonsays

Milo & Me Hoppy Tail Acres
Reaction score
somewhere in the Northern region of Minnesota
Fingers crossed all goes smoothly with Daisy and Poplar. SO glad that Mabel (perfect name by the way) is doing better. A friend of mine told me to put watered down molasses in their mouth to give them the urge to drink if it comes to that. I have never done this but she has said it worked wonders.

Sweetened

Herd Master
Reaction score
Mable is floppy again this morning. Will drink but not much energy to stand. Daisy finally has some progress, her vulva looks like theres a golf ball hiding in there. She hasnt started pushing or anything yet, no fluid.

Sweetened

Herd Master
Reaction score
Looking for advice

Let me preface with: re: vet bills, vet is not an option at this point.

Daisy is not pushing, not goopy, has had no ligs for over 24 hours. When laying down, her vulva is poofy. She has not pushed, and while she has clearly had contractions to soften that cervix open, i havent seen one. She is eating, drinking, milling about. I have seen kid movement in the belly but there are NO kids presenting. Do I go digging around for one or leave things alone?

HoneyDreameMomma

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I had a doe that did almost the same thing last year - had heavy contractions, loose cervix, etc. (although she did have some goop) but no progress. She actually stopped having contractions for nearly 10 hours, which made me worry sick and I almost went in, but I opted not to because she didn't seem overly distressed. She eventually had a successful birth, but it came almost 18+ hours later than I thought it would, and was different than any of the other goat births I've been there for.

Every doe is different, but if Daisy is still eating, drinking and moving around, I'd give her a bit more time. Go with your gut though - you know your goat best, and if it seems like something is off, scrub up and go in.