Teresa & Mike CHS - Our journal

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
You got that right. I have been closing that panel for the last month and they never reacted but obviously they sense that something bad was going to happen today. :)
Apparently like deer seem to know when hunting season starts. Mike, from Outdoors with the Morgans has mentioned it. He'll point out deer that happen to be in camera view all summer, then hunting season starts and he doesn't see any at all.

Good luck with those darn bovines! Have you tried the Dr. Temple Grandin method of a U shaped chute? Apparently the cattle are a lot more calm and manageable if they leave an area and think they are returning to it.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
BJ and I hired a couple of cowboys on horses with dogs to load up our cows one time. They parked a cattle trailer in the field, put up some side panels and hit the woods at a run. Pretty soon they came back, the dogs nipping at the cattle heels and they ran those cows right up in the trailer. They made it look easy. It was worth it just to watch somebody that knew what they were doing, do it and do it well.

We had a bull in that batch that was bad. He liked me though and would come to the fence, hang his head over and I would scratch his ears and base of those big curved horns. Anybody else, it was game on. They all went to auction.

And that, folks is why I opted for sheep. I don't want to fool with 1500 pounds of pissed off and I'm going to stomp your guts out. :lol:

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
The cows are on the trailer and they head to be processed first thing in the morning. As has been said, Mikey won't be getting cows again. I got the smokey one on the trailer yesterday and closed him off in the front section of the trailer, I was in the chute getting ready to see if I could get the other one in and just as I got out of the chute, the 1200 pound steer came jumping out of the trailer. That made me consider how lucky I was as I only just got out of the chute as he came out jumping. We used about 10 cattle handling sections to redo the area. Everybody left except Jay and I and I was giving them some feed and although we hadn't planned on doing it, Jay got behind them and closed the opening we had.

We called his dad and told him we had them in and he said him and his grandson would be right over to try and herd them into the trailer. Not sure why but the black cow decided to go into the trailer on the own and the other followed.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Who knows what lurks in the mind of a bovine? They are a prey animal but they durn sure don't act like it.

You had a close one! 1200 pounds of solid beef would be like slapping into a brick wall that comes with hooves to stomp you to smithereens. I know you are heaving a sigh of relief that they are loaded up and off they go. Next you'll be posting pictures of steaks...… :drool