Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
Ben seems to have filled out all the sudden. One day a lanky and gangly teenager and the next a thick, muscular dog. I'll have to start watching that he doesn't get TOO fluffy, if ya know what I mean! :D

It looks good on him and he looks quite handsome. He's getting faster and can really keep up with Jake now, though Jake still dominates the food and play.

Today he was patiently letting Aliza shovel dirt on him, just loving all the attention he was getting. :D When he wasn't getting in her space, he was getting in mine, having to be standing right where I'm working so that I have to push him to one side, in my face, or leaning up against me all the time. :rolleyes: He's a big ol' baby dog.

100_5246.jpg
100_5248.jpg
100_5249.jpg

I'll try to get pics of him soon that show him standing up...if I can get him far away from me to actually get a picture of him. :rolleyes: He's a velcro dog, for sure.

TAH

Herd Master
Reaction score
Oh Ben is such a patient looking boy.
Your daughter is adorable:D.

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
TY!!! I find her quite delightful, though she's not my daughter but my grandgirl instead...2 yrs old....she's incredibly entertaining and wonderful to be around. :love She's my garden, coop, and homestead helper...life is just better when she's around. Calls me "Gannie".... :celebrate :weee :love

100_4938.jpg

100_4940.jpg

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
What a beautiful child. I know she lights up your life. We moved here because of our grand daughter, then we got 2 more after we got here! Talk about fortunate! And our dogs adore them as much as Ben adores Aliza. I love it that Ben plays "dirt" with Aliza, these dogs are truly remarkable. What a good boy, Ben!

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
It is always funny to go back and look at pics of our dogs at the gangly stage. Ben never looked gangly to me though he always seemed mature. :D

Your GD sure is cute! I would have never guessed she is your joy! :lol:

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
Ben continues to do well as a chicken dog, though not real vigilant about hawks yet, I think he did much to foil the efforts of a great horned owl this past season. No strays dogs come drifting through with Ben on guard and that's exactly why I needed him...strays are our most dangerous predator.

The other day I was quite pleased to see him go guard on some visiting tree trimming guys who were clearing the electric lines. Just a good barked warning when they arrived, then alert stance, observed their conversing with us, then gave a good woof or two each time they crossed the property back and forth to their trucks, while lying down and at attention watching their every move in between these passes.

I could tell the workers were nervous about him, which is the desired result, and he didn't bark his fool head off all day but stayed VERY alert, which was also the desired result. He was clearly letting them know, "I am WATCHING you, Bub, and ya better not put a foot wrong here!" I was quite proud of him! Jake backed him up, as usual, by being the very silent~but menacing looking(that Border Collie gaze thingy)~sidekick.

I kept thinking, "If these guys only knew....the only harm that would be inflicted would be a possible knee injury from the huge wagging tails!" :D

A few pics of the big ol' guard puppy...filling out nicely into what is likely his adult size/weight.

100_5296.jpg
100_5325.jpg

Built him a hayhut in the spare pen again this year for sleeping....it's designed for quick exiting, good scenting and hearing, but still has great windblock and insulation.

100_5297.jpg

And, besides Jake and I, Ben has one more best bud...I see them loving on one another a good bit while Ben is on guard. ;) Flash..the wonder cat. Tickles me to see this great white dog and small white cat cuddling up with one another...can't seem to get a pic of it, though, as they both come running if I step outdoors to take a pic! :D

100_5329.jpg