Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I like the hay hut idea, I bet it works great on those cold nights! Ben is such a good dog, keeping you and animals safe from those bad ol' high line workers! He is a handsome boy. :love

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
What's really kind of cool is, that under that hay bed of his is some composting DL...you can put your hand under his bed and feel the warmth from that composting! So, Ben has a heated bed, lucky dog! :D

Ben really needs sheep. Ain't gonna happen but he really needs something to guard and nurture...I think he would be so fulfilled if he just had a few sheeples to watch over.

Bay, how's yer pretty sheeples doin'? :pop

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
They are doing good. I have 3 ram lambs and have 2 of them already sold. My ram, Prince, finally challenged me and I used my horse round pen training on him. In that, I ran him away from the flock. I chased him, waving my arms and yelling, scaring the devil out of him......until next time. LOL. Horses are prey animals and want to be part of the herd. Separate them from the herd and they frantically want to rejoin the herd, they are vulnerable to predators and they know that. Running them away from the herd is punishment. My mule filly had a temper fit once because I was petting another horse and not her. She stomped her foot a few times, then still ignored, she got mad and bit me. I ran her away from the herd for about 30 minutes and she never offered to bite again. So....I used the same train of thought on Prince. We'll see if it works.

When I get better at this sheep raising I want to go into registered Dorpers. My next ram will be a registered Dorper and maybe a couple of ewes to go with him.

Bee, are you sure that you couldn't maybe squeeze a couple of ewes in there? :love

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
:thumbsup:pop What ^she^ said! A couple sheep shouldn't be a huge issue, right? And Ben really, really needs them :hide to become all that he can be...:D =D All the fencing and shelter won't take long or cost much... And think how much your little grand daughter will enjoy them! OK... I'll stop now :hugs

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
They are doing good. I have 3 ram lambs and have 2 of them already sold. My ram, Prince, finally challenged me and I used my horse round pen training on him. In that, I ran him away from the flock. I chased him, waving my arms and yelling, scaring the devil out of him......until next time. LOL. Horses are prey animals and want to be part of the herd. Separate them from the herd and they frantically want to rejoin the herd, they are vulnerable to predators and they know that. Running them away from the herd is punishment. My mule filly had a temper fit once because I was petting another horse and not her. She stomped her foot a few times, then still ignored, she got mad and bit me. I ran her away from the herd for about 30 minutes and she never offered to bite again. So....I used the same train of thought on Prince. We'll see if it works.

When I get better at this sheep raising I want to go into registered Dorpers. My next ram will be a registered Dorper and maybe a couple of ewes to go with him.

Bee, are you sure that you couldn't maybe squeeze a couple of ewes in there? :love

Using "join up"on sheep!!!! Brilliant and I've been thinking about that too when folks mention having a ram they can't trust. Did you notice any behavior change as you ran him in a circle like the horses do(head down, chewing, etc.) that would indicate he was asking to be let back into the herd? I'm guessing a person would have to study sheep a long while in a herd situation in order to see those little body language cues, huh?

Excellent idea, Bay...you should really do more of that and see what you learn. I sort of do the same thing with new roosters to train them on manners, though I don't have a round pen. I just press them away from the flock and not let them back in until I get the desired result in body language when I do the press.

:thumbsup:pop What ^she^ said! A couple sheep shouldn't be a huge issue, right? And Ben really, really needs them :hide to become all that he can be...:D =D All the fencing and shelter won't take long or cost much... And think how much your little grand daughter will enjoy them! OK... I'll stop now :hugs

I would in a heartbeat if this were my land...but, alas, it's my mother's place. I've taken enough liberties just having the chickens and dogs and she's been VERY patient and such with all of that, but sheep she will not do. We don't have a stitch of fence or shelter, nor really enough good grass here to support more than a few sheep, so the wise choice is "NO". Sad. But...no. And I really, really LOVE me some sheep. :(

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
Just heard Ben let out a booming bark, saw him take off barking, then saw Jake streaking across the yard to back him up...man, that old dog can boot and scoot!!!
STARE.gif
I got all excited, thinking I was going to see some action out there!

Nope. Just a deer.
rolleye0014.gif
Jake looked back at the house, forever more as if to say, "Really? Did you see what this young pup just got me over here for????? Idiot."

Now they are racing around in huge circles, playing tag...I guess they are just feeling good this morning.
LOL_.gif

Guess I'm going to have to school Ben again on what constitutes a threat around here....
rolleye0014.gif
To be fair, that little yearling WAS awfully close to the flock.
slap-floor-laughing.gif

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
Ben is doing well on aerial preds so far, which is just what I needed...Jake just wasn't the type to care about chasing them off. Ben races to where the chickens are giving the alarm call and up flies a big redtail hawk. I like that about him.

He's also kept any and all stray dogs away from the flock this year and that was my big goal...hated having to shoot dogs just to be able to keep chickens.

The coyotes are still tuning up out there but the pack sounds smaller and we're having much less predation on the deer herd from coyotes, so their numbers must wax and wane much like any other wild animal. I think the black bears are in hibernation finally, as we've had no more signs of them on the property this winter and Ben hasn't went off like crazy like he does when the bears are roaming close.

He's still as quiet as Jake was when he was guarding by himself, which I love....this is a quiet place with very quiet nights and I love keeping it that way. Jake now barks none at all, as he has Ben to bark for him. :gig He lets Ben take the lead on all things guarding, but backs him up by his presence, if not with sound. That's the way Jake acted when he had Lucy, my GP/Lab mix dog...if ever I heard Jake barking along with Lucy I knew we were dealing with a bear or a really close coyote pack, as he rarely barks unless it's something really big and/or potentially dangerous.

I love how clean Ben stays...in all this mud and muck of a rainy season, he stays so white and clean. He even smells clean. In the sunlight his coat just sparkles, the long guard hairs are glossy enough to shine. My last white dog didn't glisten in the sunlight like that, so I was unprepared to see that lovely sheen.

Gave both dogs giant pork femurs today, which they love, and that should give them something good to do today. Jake can barely carry his but those giant bones seem to fit Ben very well, he has no problems. :D

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Glad to hear that Ben is growing into a wonderful dog for you. I love the white Pyr fur. Trip and Paris can get dirty and muddy, but let the weather dry up and the dirt just seems to fall off. It's awesome that Ben is making such a good chicken guard. Keeping the hawks away is a big job and not all dogs are interested in it, but Ben recognizes the danger and acts on it. Good boy Ben!

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
Glad to hear that Ben is growing into a wonderful dog for you. I love the white Pyr fur. Trip and Paris can get dirty and muddy, but let the weather dry up and the dirt just seems to fall off. It's awesome that Ben is making such a good chicken guard. Keeping the hawks away is a big job and not all dogs are interested in it, but Ben recognizes the danger and acts on it. Good boy Ben!

Wish I had more for him to do, ya know? For both dogs, in fact. It's not much of a job to watch a flock of chickens. Just need a herd of sheep to make it interesting, huh? :D

Ever notice how clean these heavy coated dogs fur is closest to their skin? So clean and white, the skin so clean, no matter if they just got up out of lying in a dust bowl or a patch of mud.