Thistleblooms Rambles

thistlebloom

Herd Master
Reaction score
I can't wait to see her all dressed up in her new saddle! I have a thing for saddles. One of these days i'll finish my feed and tack room, drag out all my tack and get it organized. Then it will be time to take inventory and see what else I need. It seems that when it comes to tack, more is always better.

You have a good job, outside, making beautiful things happen, satisfying work. You get to see the results of your work, instead of hours of time in front of a computer where your work disappears into cyberspace. Then in the winter, you don't have to battle the elements to make it to work on time, you are not bound by the clock. I'd have to say that you are pretty darn brilliant to have carved out your own niche in what you love to do.

I can't wait either! I gave the borrowed saddles back, so she hasn't been saddled for a few weeks. I guess I could throw Lukes endurance on her, I kind of forgot about that.... maybe today we'll do some saddling.

Yes, more tack is always better! We may not have a closet full of nice clothes, but our horses don't go lacking! 😄
You should get your tack room all spiffy and take a picture. :)

Thanks for the work compliment Bay. I do love that I'm independent and get to work with my hands outside. Brilliant maybe, broke for sure! Could be something to do with all the hay transformers hanging around in the back, lol. I keep hoping to get a sponsor. You know, I'll wear your logo on my t-shirt when I ride and you send me a check! So far I haven't had any takers. haha.

Last edited:

thistlebloom

Herd Master
Reaction score
What kind of saddle are you getting for her? (You probably mentioned it...)

It's a lightweight Wade western. It's not double skirted and I had him leave off the back cinch for weight. It should be around 30ish pounds. I'll post pictures when I get it. :)

thistlebloom

Herd Master
Reaction score
Have I ever told you guys how much I love all my neighbors?
The young couple next door recently approached me about doing some preschool work with their 4YO daughter. She has been attending a preschool but hasn't been too happy there. Apparently she says it's boring and some of the little girls won't let her play with the baby dollies. It's kid drama, but I have watched her now and then when her grandma wasn't available and we did a little phonics practice for grins. Her mom noticed that she seems to be learning more here than at school, and would rather have her with someone she knows who is also right next door. They will pay me what they were paying the preschool. That's nice for me since there is no income from my job during the winter. (That would be because I don't work in the winter 😁)

We officially started today, just laying some basics of alphabet names and their phonetic sounds and some fun hands on projects. She's really easy to be around, she's got horse fever and just lights up whenever we talk horse. Her grandma is my good friend and riding buddy and Brooke gets to have horsemanship lessons on one of her older horses. It was totally enjoyable for both of us.
Anyway, that is what I'm doing for 2 and a half days a week from now to June. Things are going to get hopping around here and there will be no more hanging out on the computer with a third cup of coffee like I've been doing for the bulk of the winter.
How embarassing.
Between Brooke, work gearing up, and increasing training time with Syringa, as well as my own gardening and the usual housework etc. I'm going to be a busy girl. Goodbye sweet laziness! I won't miss you too much.

Brooke teaching Larka the alphabet today.
Because you know what they say... give a dog a book and she'll just chew it up, but teach a dog to read and you improve her vocabulary for life. :highfive:

20200213_171646.jpg

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Brooke teaching Larka the alphabet today.
Because you know what they say... give a dog a book and she'll just chew it up, but teach a dog to read and you improve her vocabulary for life.
It won't let me "Like", "Love" AND "Laugh". I'm sure Brooke will do very well with your personal attention and lack of Kid Drama. She'll be more than ready for kindergarten next fall.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Grandma practice! You need to tell your boys to stop dithering around and get married and have kids! No, I don’t mean goats, I mean real human kids!! LOL

Sigh...... is there any hope for bachelor boys? My son is 37, never married and nothing on the horizon.

thistlebloom

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yes. Kid#1 has had a steady girlfriend for .... let me think... 7 or 8 years? Wow, time has flown! We love her to bits, and he would marry her, but she is the unwilling party. Her parents got divorced a few years ago after living as hostile room mates for 20 something years. You can't blame the car for driving into a tree, it's the drivers fault. But she wants to blame the vehicle I guess.

Kid#2 is like your son, nothing on the horizon. They are both such hard working, decent men too. I think they would be a great marriage partner, ( but we would expect that from a mom).

My husband was 28 when we married (he says he had to wait for me to grow up) so I kind of expected them to move a little slower. But now it seems like they are pretty much set.

thistlebloom

Herd Master
Reaction score
Have a couple funnies to tell on Syringa.
I took her out for a little line work today in the little field across the road, where the sun has melted most of the snow. We walked through the deep snow on our property to get there. As we got to the (muddy) road, she decides she wants to lay down and take a good roll in the snow right at the edge. So I let her lay down and she rolls with her neck and body in the snow but her head on the roadside.
She finished and started to get up, and while she was still on her knees with her butt in the air she notices last years soggy mashed weeds growing by the road right under her muzzle. Hey! Looky! Food! So she knelt there like some kind of stink bug munching away. 🤣

Once I got her upright like a horse again we made it across the road and did a bit of groundwork. She was doing pretty good, and then I added backing up into the mix. She started alright, but started getting irritable when I asked for a little more enthusiasm and not the half baked slop she was giving me. So we backed quite a ways waiting for a little attitude adjustment. We ended up backed pretty much into the trees when she finally gave me the forward ears and soft eye with a yes maam. Just in the nick of time because I wasn't sure how backing through all that thick timber was going to work out. While I stood waiting on her to relax a bit she discovered her bottom was touching a short whippy little pine and she began wagging her bum back and forth itching it. She kept that slow sway up until I was teary eyed from laughing. Then she was all - okay mom! that was great, what's next? :lol:
Sometimes that mare is a hoot!