Thistleblooms Rambles

thistlebloom

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'm sure you've guessed by now that I forgot to check the oil and it was empty. Seized that engine right up. 😭

The really sad thing about this is that I've had that Troybilt chipper for almost 30 years, and it has been very reliable. Only had to have a new carb kit once, and I think a new gas tank, but that might have been the tiller. Fortunately we have another one, same exact model that the neighbors sold me for $100 when they moved. We'll just use the one I ruined for parts. :(

chickens really

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hay man texted back and said he undercharged $81 and we could just tack it on next years hay bill. I think that was very generous of him, but also not fair to his work this year, so I'll be sending him a check. He charged 6.50 / bale instead of $7. I think $7/ bale a good price for lovely clean hay and am more than happy to pay it.
NothIngs as comforting as knowing you have quality hay before winter sets in and the snow flies! 👍🏼..That's a good price for hay.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Reading my way through your posts.
The steepness of the trail made my saddle ride up onto Syringas withers which must have been uncomfortable for her, Our trails here in the "foothills" are all so steep that I routinely used to ride with a breast collar and crupper on all my horses to prevent saddle slippage. The ly places left to ride are mostly steep mountain trails which are getting clogged with mountain bikers who don't look ahead for horses and sometimes little gas power mountain bikes too. They don't listen for the horses and having one f them burst out onto the trail is not fun!

My friend behind me was glad she hadn't brought her almost 17 hand gelding because she would have also had to unsaddle him. And probably grease his back.
Riding in Montana de Oro Park on my 16.5 TWH with several people on 14.2hh-15hh. horses we came on a tree down over the trail which was in a creek bed. They all squeezed under it and I went along too. My last horse was a lovely 14.2hh and I forgot about the extra 8"! As the tree trunk scraped over the saddle horn I realized my error! Too late for a graceful dismount and lead. I grabbed hold of the tree and let Cammie continue walking out underneath me. As I dropped on my bottom in the creek bed, Cammie stopped and looked back between her legs to see me lolling around on the ground. The surprise on her face was laughable. Then I had to find a stump or boulder to get back on! LOL It is a good memory! One of the trails in Montana de Oro is called Break Nose. Lucky we weren't on one of those!!! LOL

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Though not your responsibility, those nails are a serious danger to you and others. Do you have one of those rolling magnet metal picker upper things? You could borrow mine if I wasn't 2,000 miles from you.

Bruce where do you buy one of those rolling magnet things? Not matter how many I pick up, our field, driveway, and entire property are continually turning up old rusty nails, tacks, and staples. They are hard to see against the dirt. I have been wanting one of those rolling magnet things. Even the 7 year old granddaughter could roll one of those around to pick up nails and earn herself a little money.

thistlebloom

Herd Master
Reaction score
Reading my way through your posts.
................ Our trails here in the "foothills" are all so steep that I routinely used to ride with a breast collar and crupper on all my horses to prevent saddle slippage.

My saddle is rigged for crupper and britchen, I may have to see about going that direction. She's got good withers. My cinch is alpaca and I think it stretches some when it gets warmed up and sweaty.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
In England and Ireland where I first learned to ride they say it takes 100 fall to make a horseman (or woman). Of course the ground there is a little softer than our hard clay, shale, and granite land here! Falling on the moors in Ireland is like falling on a mattress on that peat!

I have way more than 100 falls now though, so does that make me more of a horsewoman or less? Are you not allowed to fall after you reach the 100 mark? Do more than 100 falls mean you can't stay on a horse? I'm not sure but when I go to the Rodeo, I can feel every bone jarring beat along with the riders. It doesn't stop me though, I just congratulate myself on my cleverness in having nice well broke horses for these old bones! LOL :lol: I guess I can use this imogee for some of the crazy ways I have fallen! LOL Luckily nothing broken so all good.

My current mount is a 16.3 hh sorrel gaited mule. Wonderful girl, but my next horse will be 13,hh. Maybe I can get up on it without amounting block! I didn't consider size when replacing my 32 year old 14.2 pinto mare with a 16.2 TWH. The mule actually belongs to DH but he no longer rides.

Here is a hint - as you get older buy smaller horses!!! :gig