Thistleblooms Rambles

thistlebloom

Herd Master
Reaction score
He's quite a character, keeps us laughing all the time. Yesterday I watched him chase a grasshopper down the driveway, across the road, back to our side and then a final flying leap and he had it. He eats everything he catches, and I'm pleased to say we have no more gophers in the lawn. Angus, his brother from another mother does his share of hunting but is not the fanatic that Finian is. He certainly would not be caught stalking a moose.
I named him Finian, dh calls him Finnigan, so it's morphed into Finnyinagain.

Last edited:

thistlebloom

Herd Master
Reaction score
The barn lions, enjoying a couch siesta.

1597703835998.jpeg

thistlebloom

Herd Master
Reaction score
I rearranged my work week so I could have today free. The hay farmer was planning on arriving here with my 6 tons of brome between 12 and 1ish.
I figured I could skedaddle over to the park and get a couple hour ride in while it was still cool, and get back in plenty of time to be here to pay him. Got to the park unloaded, saddled up, rode out a couple hundred yards and my phone rang. I thought it might be dh so answered it and it was my hay guy, at my house ready to unload. Shortest ride ever. Seems they had also rearranged their delivery schedule. Syringa seemed mildly confused when I unsaddled her and loaded back up, lol.
I got home as they were stacking the last few bales, and it was so hot, poor guys were dripping. The total with delivery and stacking was $150 less than I had planned on. I got thinking about it and texted him to make sure he had charged me for delivery. If he gave me the correct total than I am even happier than I was when I saw all that pretty hay stacked neatly and dh and I didn't have to do it!

Saturday morning we got out real early. Dh to cut and split wood, and I worked on chipping the pile of pine limbs the kids had taken off the 4 trees we had pulled. I also limbed up the maples on the driveway and had a huge pile to run through the chipper.
Working along steadily and the pile was shrinking when the shredder stalled. It still had gas so I restarted it and it stalled again. I checked for a blockage but it was clear. Started it back up and ran a limb through and it stalled again. It also had a little plume of smoke from the engine which I figured was a pine needle scorching. I'm sure you've guessed by now that I forgot to check the oil and it was empty. Seized that engine right up. 😭

In other news, our planned bike/horse ride Saturday turned out to be a non event. We drove separately, just in case and dh rode over to the trailer parking area as I was just unloading. He went on his way alone, then later as I was warming her up in an open area out on the trails, he ran into us again. (not literally). We rode along together for a mile or so, Syringa trotting happily behind, and he looking back nervously now and then. Syringa loves him you see. She wasn't doing great on listening to my cues, when I asked for a change of tempo and kept wanting to get close to dh. Real close, haha, so we agreed to separate again.
I got a good ride in, lots of miles, lots of gait changing and leg yielding exercises on the trails. It was good for her to be solo, I've been riding a lot with other people and she has gotten too used to following and not having to think real hard.

thistlebloom

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hay man texted back and said he undercharged $81 and we could just tack it on next years hay bill. I think that was very generous of him, but also not fair to his work this year, so I'll be sending him a check. He charged 6.50 / bale instead of $7. I think $7/ bale a good price for lovely clean hay and am more than happy to pay it.