Thistleblooms Rambles

thistlebloom

Herd Master
Reaction score
This is one way we know it's winter...

1605478312373.jpeg

Mom and sibling were working over the apple trees on the driveway. They have been harder on the trees this year than the moose in general ever have before. More broken branches overall. They seemed to always just tip prune before. Maybe it's because the leaves are still stuck to the branches and they reach further in to eat them.

There were tracks right up to the open end of the hay barn. They are only interested in alfalfa, which there is still about 12 bales of in there, the rest being brome. And I did pick up two panels to gate the front off, but they are not attached yet, just leaning, so I'm glad they didn't challenge the barrier and learn they could knock them down.

They are fat and healthy and I'm happy to share the apple leaves with them. If winter turns out like last year they won't have it tough at all with living off the forest browse.

Syringa was interested in watching this calf, but not alarmed and went back to eating her hay after a few minutes. A good change over last years fear.

thistlebloom

Herd Master
Reaction score
1605580784002.jpeg

What you don't see here is the abandoned vacuum cleaner standing in the living room, and the wet towels in the washer. It was a little sprinkly this morning and I was being a grownup and cleaning house. Then the sun peeked out for about 3.5 minutes and I sprinted out the door, loaded the horse up and zipped off to trail ride. That sunshine was a trap! Lol.
The drizzle turned into rain and we got a bit soggy. But it was worth it! I left the trailer hitched and am plotting another escape tomorrow.
I promise to be a grownup for the rest of the week because the weather will disintegrate and get miserable.

Today we had a nice gallop. Syringa has been good at picking up the canter, but it's always been a surgy type of canter, on the muscle. Today it was very forward, but softer and more cadenced. A nice breakthrough. 😍

thistlebloom

Herd Master
Reaction score
For their size they really don't do a lot of damage. I have had more damage from bucks scent rubbing on trees. The apple trees get pruned hard in the spring ( by me ), they don't break the main scaffold branches, so it's not a big inconvenience. It would have been nice to have the leaves fall off the way they're supposed to though. Much less attractive to browsers.

thistlebloom

Herd Master
Reaction score
@thistlebloom someday I'm going to load up Richie and come out and ride with you! It's probably good I'm in Indiana. We'd probably be leaving the dirty houses more often than not to go ride if we were neighbors. ;)

That would be awesome! 😍 Do it! We have plenty of room for extra horses, and trails enough to last for months! Oh and a spare room too!

I am in a wonderful season of life right now as an empty nester and blessed with a self employed job that gives me wiggle room. Plus a husband that says "go ride!" I admire what you are doing in your season of life right now, you have so many responsibilities but are still able to squeeze horse time in there. Good job on all of it. :hugs