Thistleblooms Rambles

thistlebloom

Herd Master
Reaction score
Just to show that not every picture I take has pointy brown ears.
I processed 24 avocados into guacamole. It better snow soon so I can get some shoveling exercise in or I won't fit through the door.

1609866514539.jpeg

thistlebloom

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have a suggestion for your footstool, you can keep an eye out for a leather couch or chair and skin it to repurpose the leather for the footstool. Even if the sitting part is all messed up, there's usually plenty of material from the back or sides where it was against a wall and protected.
That's a great idea!

thistlebloom

Herd Master
Reaction score
We had a dry pocket yesterday between rain events (rain in the winter is just wrong, but I won't whine about that here) so Syringa and I hustled over to the park for a good ride. There may not be too many more opportunities this winter so we need to be poised for action when there's an opening in the weather!

The horse day use area has been gated off for the winter but there is still trailer parking at the multiuse area. They groom trails in the winter for snowshoeing, X-country skiing and fat bike riders.
There is a sign up that says no livestock is allowed on the groomed trails in the winter, I get it and respect that. Since the rain had obliterated the majority of snow and many trails had big dirt gaps I didn't have a conscience issue riding the trails we regularly ride.

What I started noticing though was that there wasn't a trail I rode that hadn't been groomed when the snow was workable. So I guess that effectively shuts down my idea that I could trailer over periodically and ride on ungroomed trails. They apparently don't exist. :tongue

This park is divided by a highway, the south side is exclusively everything but horses, the north side is horses AND everything that is allowed on the south side. 🤔

Here's a tiny rant- this park has a high percentage of horse traffic so why can't they reserve at least some areas in the horse side for winter trail riding? Everybody else has everything else at their disposal...
Oh and another thing is the attitude you get from some certain other users when they encounter horse and riders. I figure they are mostly newcomers and resentful that horses are allowed anywhere in the park, since they are required to yield to them. And they are probably highly offended by the clumps of fertilizer. 😄

I can't speak for other riders, but I always yield to bikers and hikers when I see them, just pulling out of the way into the brush if possible. I like to be friendly anyway and it's good training for my horse to stand quietly.

So anyway, we had a lovely ride, it was just so good to get out and moving! Syringa was happy and forward and I couldn't stop smiling.
We even got a few sun breaks to bless us. :highfive:

Syringa wanted a closer look at this sign. 😄
I think she even noticed the discrimination, lol.
Where are the Fat Horse trails?

1609952945139.jpeg

promiseacres

Herd Master
Reaction score
I think where ever you ride you'll get the "us vs them" problem. It's too bad many of our trails are horses and hikers only. And they bikers will have their own separate trails. State lands have very very little allowed ATV/motorized trails. But you still get the them vs us... even though we have a very very active and helpful group of trail riders that volunteer and are constantly cleaning up and improving trails.