Toli's life in pictures. Last Update, Toli is 2.5 years old 141lbs

dejavoodoo114

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I'm glad you came back to update us. Happy to hear that your wife is recovering well. Toli sounds great, has he stopped chasing the deer away? Mine have and now I wish they still did since the monsters are destroying my fruit trees! I love that he has a play mate and is so happy sleeping calmly by your guys' bed at night.

Robbin

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
The dogs are wonderful, love them to death. I did finally break all of them of chasing the deer. The deer responded by REALLY moving in. My son saw one under the carport on the concrete last week. Toli keeps the coyotes off the property and every doe comes here to have her fawns. I've seen as many as 6 different fawns in a day. I see at least one set every day. Missy, Toli's playmate has adopted a cat. I took it in and got it fixed last week. Funny thing to see that little cat laying on top of that dog. A playmate is a good thing for these big dogs. Especially if they aren't working dogs. Sad thing is a saw a full blood anatolian about 8 months old and a Great Per. in the middle of nowhere 3 days ago. I feed the anatolian but neither would let me touch them so I couldn't check their collars.
From the looks that had been lost for a couple of days. I checked online and all the papers. Not reported lost so I hope they found their way home.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Glad you were there to give some feed to those lost dogs. That's such a shame. I wonder if someone just dumped them. If you continue to feed them, maybe you can catch them? I know they're big and powerful and could do you serious damage if you try and they don't like it. I hope they come to a good end. I've read about folks who have had stray LGD's just "arrive" out of nowhere and take up residence and employment. I think I'd be OK if that happened here.

Though others will disagree, I'm glad your dogs are protecting the deer. I love to see the deer in my pastures. Yeah, I know they can carry all kinds of deadly livestock diseases and such, but they've been here a lot longer than my goats. And as long as they're not directly in mingling with them, I'm OK. I'd rather the dogs NOT chase them.

Robbin

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Toli is 5 years old now. Haven't come back to this page in a long time. Thought I'd leave an update. The big fella is 150 now. Finally taught him deer where farm animals. Now every doe in the county comes to my farm to raise fawns. No coyotes come on our farm. I never even see a print. It's just not worth the risk of running into that 150 pound white monster.
Put a feeder 30 yards from the back porch. I've seen as many as 15 different bucks there this year. As many as 15 does and fawns at a time. I've opened the back porch and feed the dogs goodies on the porch with twin 8 points standing 35 yards away. I would never have dreamed they could become this tame. But each new generation is raised in plain site of the big dog and the house and all the comings and goings and they get more and more tame. While they are hunted on all sides of my 80 acres. Our coyotes aren't that big, but I do fear Toli chasing them off somewhere and getting attacked by a pack, but so far, they've shown no desire to risk a fight. We've got lots of coyotes, I hear them all the time, but they now where the big dog marks the property and it might as well be a fence.

We've increased our chickens and bee hives, but still not live stock. I'll do that when I retire and have more time on the farm. Got 50 gallons of honey last year, most we've ever produced.

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
Toli is 5 years old now. Haven't come back to this page in a long time. Thought I'd leave an update. The big fella is 150 now. Finally taught him deer where farm animals. Now every doe in the county comes to my farm to raise fawns. No coyotes come on our farm. I never even see a print. It's just not worth the risk of running into that 150 pound white monster.
Put a feeder 30 yards from the back porch. I've seen as many as 15 different bucks there this year. As many as 15 does and fawns at a time. I've opened the back porch and feed the dogs goodies on the porch with twin 8 points standing 35 yards away. I would never have dreamed they could become this tame. But each new generation is raised in plain site of the big dog and the house and all the comings and goings and they get more and more tame. While they are hunted on all sides of my 80 acres. Our coyotes aren't that big, but I do fear Toli chasing them off somewhere and getting attacked by a pack, but so far, they've shown no desire to risk a fight. We've got lots of coyotes, I hear them all the time, but they now where the big dog marks the property and it might as well be a fence.

We've increased our chickens and bee hives, but still not live stock. I'll do that when I retire and have more time on the farm. Got 50 gallons of honey last year, most we've ever produced.

This post doesn't need a comment since a repeat does it. I love that story. We have a herd of about 25 deer that uses a trail around our place and the dogs don't even warn on them any more.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Thanks for stopping by with an update. I'm assuming that you're fully recovered and doing well also. 50 gallons of honey is a LOT of honey!

Robbin

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Pray for Toli....
Got a knot on his foreleg just above the ankle. Thought it was a bruise but after a week took him to the vet. She thought it was a bruise.
Got worse so I took him back the yesterday. Xray shows a growth inside and outside the bone. Bone appears very thin. Either a bone infection
or cancer. At 156 pounds (no fat), he's not a good candidate for amputation. He's the biggest, sweetest dog you've ever seen. I am terrified of
losing him. Will be looking for a real surgeon at Auburn to see what can be done.