Too many mistakes with my Great Pyr?

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
I do think that getting a puppy at an older age can be good but it really depends on the parent as to whether or not they will have any training. But they will be a little more mature and little more self assured. I sell my pups starting at 10 weeks.

At this point bringing in another puppy would not change the bonding between dog and stock. My first two were 16 weeks and 8 weeks and I honestly saw little difference between them when it came to their interactions with my herd. I tossed them in the goat pen and had no clue that there might be trouble, but there wasn't...they played with each other. Pure dumb luck on my part.

I got Mia at 12 weeks, she is 1/2 sister to my first one. I can say that she must have learned NOTHING from her mother. I got Alondra 9 months later and she was 5 months old but had never been around goats other than from a distance and she did fine. After I had Mia as a single pup I was sold that I will never raise a single puppy again. NEVER.

Sibling puppies can be harder as they already have a bond. I have sibling Border Collies and that has been ok, but I was just lucky and I probably won't do it again.

As far as the space, I had two dogs with 12 goats on about an acre pasture. I opened up more land and they had about 2.5 acres but only when I opened the gate for them. I now have 4 dogs and about 8.5 acres, but again, only when I open the gates. At night my 4 dogs are on about an acre, that is all. I have over 60 goats now but I don't think that herd size matters that much.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Really limited experience, only had Merlin for 3 weeks (*), he was about 16 months old and grew up with other GP's and sheep so not the same situation you have.

One acre fenced which includes a pond. There was one night where he was at the south end of the area responding to something and I saw a pair of red eyes glowing beyond the north fence (about 330' from the south fence). It was a fox sitting on a rock about 75' outside the fence. It didn't care a fig that I was standing at the fence shining a flashlight on it. Point being, while an acre isn't a big space for a GP to guard, you might need 2 dogs to guard it anyway since one can't be in all places at all times.

I do question the breeder sending the dog out at 7 weeks. I would personally wait until 8 weeks for a generic pet of any breed from any source. You will hear from some here that 8 weeks is too early for a LGD. 10 or 12 is a more reasonable minimum.

Best of luck!

* Wife couldn't learn ignore him working the night shift.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
If you really wish to have an LGD, then persevere. It's work in most cases, and more so because you got yours so young. They really do remain pups till about 18-24 months of age. They also learn the most from ~8 weeks to 16 weeks. If you work with him, even though it seems like a lost cause, if he has the genetics (coming from working parents) eventually you should be rewarded with a great dog. Hope it works out for you.

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
your pup out in the field on a lead as much as you possibly can, exposure is key. Some people frown on choke chains, I never used them with my LGDs but I did with my Border Collies. Maybe somebody else has some ideas on that...a pinch collar maybe???

NOT a LGD expert, but will add a few cents...

For mine, I just turn the leash around, run it through the handle loop and put that resulting loop around their necks. Does the same thing as a choke chain but not as severe or small guage, so it's just a tug on the neck. And, as with any kind of choke type thing, it has to be used properly...a quick tug to the side and a release when the head turns towards you.

After training with that, one only has to put the leash on in this manner to refresh their memory on leash walking....understandably, most LGDs don't get much leash time so they may need a refresher of what you want with that leash each time you apply it if it's been a long time in between.

I too advocate two dogs, even on 3 acres...the play time and excess energy they can expend with another dog can help dogs that don't have large acreage and large flocks to protect. I've found they can get into trouble when bored but this is decreased a good deal if they have another dog to socialize with. Doesn't even have to be a LGD breed, as long as it can hold its own with the rough play they like.

Life is so much better and dogs more well adjusted if they have a companion of their own species.

Lynda V

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I'm sure that's true. I have been in contact with a couple of breeders in my area who have puppies who will soon be ready to take home. I will certainly NOT take a puppy before it's at least 9 weeks old. Learned my lesson there! But here's the question: should I get a male or a female or does it not really matter? I've got a male,so is a male/female combination better or male/male? Please advise! I want to do this right.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
I personally like M/F teams, it seems that they are just more likely to get along. But that also means that you have to deal with heats and keeping them apart and that can be a challenge. Large breed dogs should not be spayed before they are 2 and longer is even better so you are looking at 3-4 heat cycles to deal with.

I have never owned two males but my females can sure be grouchy with each other, but they all get along with my male.

BrendaMNgri

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
The gender question has no right or wrong, best or worst answer. It's all about the owner, what they are comfortable handling, can't handle, prefer, can exist with, etc.
@Latestarter said it well too: "If you really wish to have an LGD, then persevere." It takes commitment, time, energy, focus, dedication. Listen to your gut…. ;)