Turkeys anyone?

chiques chicks

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Most animal shows I've ever seen have been open to the public.

That's how addicts are created.

Friend of a friend just posted a pic yesterday of her (then) 8yo son with his first chicken for years ago, which he "bought" from me. Comment was " this is how it all started". They now have a total menagerie.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Never heard of a "closed" animal show... The idea is for the participants to "show off" their animals and many sell them at the shows. It's normally a pretty big deal for those who are going to show. Many prepare for months (and some for years) to participate. If you can get to one of the large shows, by all means go experience it! I'm sure you'll have a blast.

Bossroo

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
So, I've been researching some and the closest to me is the Ohio. Is it like only people showing with the APA and stuff can go or can I as a young guy with a bunch of mutts go walk around and see al the different breeds without being connected to the org at all?
By all means attend the show, but leave the mutts at home as they may cause the show birds to have a tizzy fit and then some angry owners start yelling at you as feathers fly and possible injuries happen to the birds. Yes, I have seen this happen at a Washington show. Have fun !

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
So, I've been researching some and the closest to me is the Ohio. Is it like only people showing with the APA and stuff can go or can I as a young guy with a bunch of mutts go walk around and see al the different breeds without being connected to the org at all?

Poultry shows are open to the public and in fact we encourage anyone who has a little interest in any poultry to go see a show. There are alot of smaller shows and some of the fairs put on some really nice shows too. But if you are close, go to the show in Columbus Ohio and be prepared to see chickens and turkeys and waterfowl in every shape size and color. You don't have to be a member of any club to show, the APA and ABA usually have meets at these shows as do many of the individual breed clubs. The best of the best show at these big shows and the birds will be top quality. The birds will be judged according to the standard of perfection in their respective classes and sometimes there will be 25 in just one class of cocks in one single color of a particular breed. There will be the show committee table where you can get information and if you ask there is usually someone who can answer basic questions. Prepare to spend some serious time walking aisles and just looking at birds. Many exhibitors will have jackets or vests with their own names on them and the breed they favor, and most exhibitors are pretty friendly and willing to talk to beginners. Usually the aisle where the judge is working will be roped off so he can move freely between cages as he judges, and no one can talk to the judges while they are doing their job. There is almost always a sale section and you will find alot of surplus birds there from breeders.
I am assuming that your "bunch of mutts" is one of three things. Since I tend to take things literally sometimes, I am not trying to insult you; so... is the bunch of mutts meaning you just have some chickens of questionable heritage or not of show quality? or kiddingly referring to your family/kids? or hopefully not that you want to take your dogs to the poultry show? Seems silly that I put it on paper but I don't always get some people's wry sense of humor so I am just asking....
Most poultry people are just everyday joes with a love and enjoyment of breeding chickens... it can get to be an obsession too...

micah wotring

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Thanks @Bossroo and @farmerjan ! I'm definitely NOT going to take my dog. XD That wouldn't be fun for anyone.

I was talking about my 'mutts' just to make sure y'all didn't think I was asking about showing. I meant my chickens. XD I just want to see the birds.

I'll try to make it this year but probably not. Maybe next year when I have my license! We'll see if I can talk my mom into taking me. lol

Thank you both!
Ah, so exiting!

Bossroo

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
What I ( as well as the old time farmers) do to permanently cure the flying issues of turkeys, ducks, chickens is right after they hatch ( or get from a hatchery) is to take a 3/4" chisell and heat the business end to VERY HOT, then place the bird with one of it's wings extended over a board and sear off the end joint of ONE wing. No harm to the bird ... as soon as the bird is let loose it goes about it's business as if nothing has happend.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
That's a pretty novel approach... never heard of that before. So they won't fly at all with the end join missing on one side?