Turkeys anyone?

NH homesteader

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thanks, yes we had one that was scary dangerous. He's in the freezer! Another reason not to free range.

micah wotring

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I went to the Ohio National last Saturday! It was awesome! They had like 6600 birds there most of which were chickens. I took lots of video and lots of pictures so a blog post and a video will be coming soon(if I can get the stupid video editor to work). And yes, I completely changed and took a shower as soon as I got back. I just hope I didn't bring any diseases for all those other people to deal with.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
@NH homesteader I don't know if I ever posted the thread on building my hoop coop on another thread for you or not. But here it is, in case I haven't posted it before for you. Even though I built it to be skidded about, I have never moved it. I'll have to move it some day as it is where I'm going to build a lean-to off the side of the portable building next to it. Right now, I just open the door and let the hens out. I have an old boat trailer for my future crazy plans-someday I'll get around to building a coop on it!

http://www.theeasygarden.com/threads/hoop-coop.18291/

@micah wotring I am so glad that you got to go to the show! What an experience! Can't wait to see the pics and hear all about it.

NH homesteader

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thanks, you must have because I went to bookmark it and my phone told me I had it bookmarked already! Will be needing that in the spring!

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
If you are going to skid it a lot, I think it might be better to make the bottom frame of 2x6's. Mine turned out heavier than I thought and in retrospect, should'a used 2x6's. Most of the skidable coops you see on the internet have tarp roofs and I used tin on mine. Tarps wear out in a short time, then you have all those plastic strings to deal with if you don't wad it up and throw it away quick.

NH homesteader

Herd Master
Reaction score
We will be moving it pretty frequently. We might start with tarps but will need real roofing for winter. Tarps don't do snow very well!

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
I went to the Ohio National last Saturday! It was awesome! They had like 6600 birds there most of which were chickens. I took lots of video and lots of pictures so a blog post and a video will be coming soon(if I can get the stupid video editor to work). And yes, I completely changed and took a shower as soon as I got back. I just hope I didn't bring any diseases for all those other people to deal with.

So glad you got to go to the Ohio National. Told you it would be worth it!!!:ep:ep:drool:drool They put on a fantastic show and are very into youth in poultry. We will have the Virginia Poultry Breeders show this Sat Nov 19th at the Caroline County Fairgrounds a bit north of Richmond Va. It won't be anywhere the size of Ohio, usually about 800-1000 birds. Hopefully the weather will hold as temps are supposed to drop like a rock and only be in the 30's during the day Sunday...It was about 70 today and forecast to be mid 70's Friday...possible showers late on Sat and cooling off.

Latest posts