Wehner Homestead 2018 Calving: Done

Wehner Homestead

Herd Master
Reaction score
All 4 cows due next week have definitely started udders, swelling is present, and discharge is also increasing. (I’ve been checking ligs on goats, I wonder if it would work on cows...)

Anyway, I got some pics of two of the cows that are coming due.

Dolly is our purebred Angus. She’s bred to Bearcat :)fl for a blue roan) and due 2/10.
444926A3-83ED-45D8-BF0F-6F7420894225.jpeg

Maizy is a first calf heifer. We bred her to Jesse James for calving ease. She’s due 2/9. (Her dam, Maddie, is due 2/10 also but she was laying down so I didn’t get a pic.)
063C13D5-3886-4DBF-BFFF-2C3F61A0F58F.jpeg

These two cows were enjoying the lean-to that was opened up to them when we had ice earlier this month. (L: Bailey, R: Melody)
B034B494-6986-483E-BC37-72634F06208F.jpeg

A pic of Moxie. She’s a dark blue roan and a paternal half sister to Maizy with maternal connections. Moxie is bred to our herd bull, Otis, and due 3/28. She’s also a first calf heifer. (I mentioned Ember in a previous post. These two are maternal half sisters.)
78F3FA75-2A9B-4A26-99BA-00DDDB2A7DDC.jpeg

Melody is Maizy’s older half maternal sister out of an Angus Bull we used to own that came from the Purdue Test Station with an awesome rate of gain. She’s due 3/1 to our herd bull, Otis. This will be her third calf. She gave us a Bull then a heifer and has had no calving issues thus far.
E543C18B-2BFD-4E10-AAEC-8EE2536A1621.jpeg

November pic showing L: Maddie and R: Scarlett. Both are due 2/10 and bred to Dakota Gold. Scarlett belongs to my dad. He keeps her here as an excuse to spend time here. She’s a pet so we don’t mind! Maddie was bought before we were even married and is 11 yrs old. She’s a mountain of sentimental value, produces a thriving calf every year, and a sweetheart to boot! Maddie is the mother of Mollie (culled after a leg injury but the mother of Moxie and Ember), Melody, and Maizy. She is also the herd queen.
ECA1DD54-3179-4210-94B9-A7AF38F66E75.jpeg

Wehner Homestead

Herd Master
Reaction score
@greybeard He said that it is foxtail. I do know that it isn’t as bad when he bush hogs the whole pasture on schedule but that was impossible with the rain and getting hay made this year.

Wehner Homestead

Herd Master
Reaction score
I posted a pic of Melody above. DH said she may calve with this first group. We do have an AI breeding date for her but thought our bull got the job done on her next cycle. Only time will tell. If she goes soon, Bearcat is the sire of her calf also. Melody belongs to DD1 and she really wants flashy markings so our goal was painted black and white “chromed up” or blue roan.

Wehner Homestead

Herd Master
Reaction score
@greybeard We only have one cow that was dehorned now, as all of the others didn’t have them or scurs. We had a calf with horns last year but he was sent to market. I don’t want to start having more horns! Also, LH have a tendency to have a more lean appearance and the show Cattle world likes them blocky. Functional is a must for us though so we lean toward maternal with the ability to calve one of those show stoppers but my herd and freezer don’t rely on that either. I refuse to buy beef at the store so we always feed out one for us and one for my parents.

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
@greybeard We only have one cow that was dehorned now, as all of the others didn’t have them or scurs. We had a calf with horns last year but he was sent to market. I don’t want to start having more horns! Also, LH have a tendency to have a more lean appearance and the show Cattle world likes them blocky. Functional is a must for us though so we lean toward maternal with the ability to calve one of those show stoppers but my herd and freezer don’t rely on that either. I refuse to buy beef at the store so we always feed out one for us and one for my parents.
Maternal?
That's another word for Longhorn. So is functional. ;)
A good homozygous polled Angus or Simmy will knock them horns off anyway. Polled is always dominate.

I'm not much on the 'show world', don't care one hoot about hide color, pedigree, or blockiness. Breed every year, drop a live calf on their own, take care of it and it better be able to mash the scales down when the auctioneer is done.

but I don't mind when one of mine goes on a halter either.. functional and maternal, but not exactly LH either. :)
DanekBowen_grey_calf.jpg

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
Certainly not mine of course, but what do you think of this Grand Champion 'showstopper'?

grandchampionsteer.jpg