Wehner Homestead

Herd Master
Reaction score
We are dam raising so that if DD2 gets hospitalized, I don’t have to stress as much about ALL of the goats needing milked. It’s a developing plan in progress.

I want the goat kids to be very friendly so we are spending as much times as possible with them. Jackson keeps trying to nurse my face! :)

Hens and Roos

Herd Master
Reaction score
there is always co-parenting to help make sure they all are getting enough- we did that last year when our doe Coco had 5 kids. We would go out a couple times a day as it fit our schedule and offered a bottle- we found that the smaller ones were quick to learn to take it. They still would get milk from the doe.

Wehner Homestead

Herd Master
Reaction score
there is always co-parenting to help make sure they all are getting enough- we did that last year when our doe Coco had 5 kids. We would go out a couple times a day as it fit our schedule and offered a bottle- we found that the smaller ones were quick to learn to take it. They still would get milk from the doe.

We definitely have that on our radar. Jasmine seems be getting her fill for now. When Diamond’s milk switches from colostrum, I’ll probably start offering her a bottle.

DH and I also discussed pulling Diamond and Jasmine out twice a day so she can nurse without competition and leaving Jasmine with Diamond when we start pulling the boys overnight so I can milk Diamond some (once growing good!)

I realize that you mention this for friendlier kids. We are keeping our options open for the moment. They are still in their kidding pen. May try to introduce them a little today.

AClark

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I don't blame you, I'm already dreading getting up all night to feed babies - as I also have a baby of my own (she'll be 1 next week) that occasionally wakes in the middle of the night. Last night was a good example, 2:47 AM she woke up crying, had managed to soak through the diaper put on at 10 last night and it wasn't pretty. I changed her and she slept with me and DH until I got up at 5:30, then was wide awake when my alarm went off. DH gets up earlier than I do and feeding babies is all on me. At least it isn't for as long as human babies, right? lol

Wehner Homestead

Herd Master
Reaction score
Update on Diamond’s kids:

1/23 Birthweights
K1 “Jasmine”- 2.6 lbs
K2 “Jackson” - 4.1lbs
K3 “Jericho” - 5.0lbs

1/24 Jasmine - 2.8lbs

1/26
Jericho 5.7
Jackson 4.8
Jasmine 3.3

1/29
Jericho 6.6
Jackson 5.9
Jasmine 3.7

Opinions on Jasmine’s weight gain?? We did try a Pritchard nipple with an ounce of milk tonight. She didn’t act interested but would swallow any we got in her mouth. I ended up using a syringe to slowly put it on her tongue. She took an ounce total then was ready to nap. This was just supplementing. We want to make sure her bigger brothers aren’t pushing her out.

They are starting to jump around more. It’s adorable!

L to R: Jasmine, Jericho, Jackson
1AD51DE5-01D1-45C1-A9D1-936E1DFCAA3C.jpeg

43276FF8-E519-46CD-AD1C-8B08E9D61345.jpeg

A729F0BC-B4B2-4DCC-BB99-EA351957BC4E.jpeg

Jasmine got to come in for her feeding. I’ve strained muscles in my back so DH is having to handle my goats for now. I did venture out to make sure the babies were good and Snowflake wasn’t going to kid for a bit. Her ligs are still pretty solid, very minimal udder development.
DD1
4A9688EF-E599-44D0-80AE-8D3DDB406BDB.jpeg

DD2 (she kept trying to inch closer)
0B04168E-B54E-40B7-9D74-75B0DAC66472.jpeg