greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
One dropped a little baby bunny right in front of our door on the front deck one Christmas Day just as all the guests were arriving for dinner. I kicked it off to the side a little so no one would step on it, but waited till after din din to bury it. No telling tho, how much torment that rabbit had gone thru before it finally died at that cat's hands (paws)

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have about 20 or 30 you can come get. Have to get some spayed this year. I did spay a couple 2 or 3 years ago and one got killed on the road, one disappeared and one the coyotes got. All the ones I didn't spay had copious litters and now they are really way overpopulated. Plus there were about 5 or 6 new ones that must've gotten dropped because all of a sudden there were several "bigger" cats here that weren't of the litters born here. Got a "manx" type with no/short tail that has left his mark with a bunch of short-tailed kittens. None are very friendly, although I do feed them. Have 2 that I am going to dispose of, they fight with everyone else at feeding time and even out in the field for no reason. Tired of that.

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have about 20 or 30 you can come get. Have to get some spayed this year. I did spay a couple 2 or 3 years ago and one got killed on the road, one disappeared and one the coyotes got. All the ones I didn't spay had copious litters and now they are really way overpopulated. Plus there were about 5 or 6 new ones that must've gotten dropped because all of a sudden there were several "bigger" cats here that weren't of the litters born here. Got a "manx" type with no/short tail that has left his mark with a bunch of short-tailed kittens. None are very friendly, although I do feed them. Have 2 that I am going to dispose of, they fight with everyone else at feeding time and even out in the field for no reason. Tired of that.

For all the 'crazy cat ladies' of the world...

cateat.jpg

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
FarmJan I could use 4 or 5! I want hunters. I do feed mine but nothing like a "trained by mom" mouser -- nothing! I don't need a pet. I like to pet them but, it's optional. :D We have a "neuter day" here with our local agencies. One of mine had recently been neutered at a few months old and she ran away to my barn! LOL I knew where she came from and Betty said -- oh, no..you keep her!! (she was feeding & neutering about 50 ferals).

That cat was great! Pretty and friendly, too...eventually.

Maybe I should take a drive and buy some beef, get some cats. :lol: Leaves will be changing before long.

Wehner Homestead

Herd Master
Reaction score
@Mini Horses use a large dog crate to contain the new cats for a couple days. I put a litter box, bowl of food, and dish of water. That gets them used to the sights/sounds/smells of your farm and makes it home. It also gives any existing felines the chance to adjust to the newcomers. Not to say there won’t be spats but it helps.

@greybeard wow! I will say that Oscar isn’t supposed to be a housecat, he just “sneaks” in a couple times a day! He loves me.

On a not so fun note, Maizy (cow) came in heat on Friday. I’m really frustrated with the cattle breeding for the year. Have talked to several others that have had similar issues in our area. Definitely waiting on feedback from the vet.

Sold a steer for 4-H today! Excited for the family and to see how he looks/does at the fair.

Wehner Homestead

Herd Master
Reaction score
Busy couple of days...DD2, DS, and I are still fighting our sore throats and coughs despite antibiotics for several days. I’m taking DD2 to the dr tomorrow to make sure she doesn’t have anything else going on.

In the meantime, I’ve tried super hard to get this house in order! Both bathrooms have been cleaned from top to bottom. (When you are raising a boy, this is a necessity...I haven’t decided if he has horrible aim or his stream is a source of entertainment.)

The functional kids’ bathroom.
6425C66F-627D-447D-A121-A8A6EB9CF959.jpeg

The waste of space/catch-all. This is part of the addition that was added on 3 years before we bought the house. We typically only use the first sink, commode, and walk-in shower, everything else just collects stuff.
1FC87CCA-051F-4F4B-A0E6-E5B744CA75D8.jpeg

I made my homemade chicken noodle soup last night and all three kids ate well! Tonight I made minute steaks and gravy, broccoli cauliflower and cheese, mashed potatoes, and buttered bread. Kids chowed down again.

We castrated five calves last night. DH held them in the headchute while I did the cutting and pulling. All seemed to do well and it’s great to have that out of the way.

Tonight we tied up heifers. They weren’t horrible for their first time. All ate their feed and two even laid down. They have open shows Oct 13 & Oct 20 so need to to puts lots of time into them between now and then. I took pics of 3 of the 4. The one not pictured is one we are breaking for our 4-H kiddo that we help.

Indy
2A107C88-E59F-4B04-AC01-29C93EDC8358.jpeg

Mallory
51483AD8-3168-408E-A698-06AAF889179D.jpeg

Emma
3613DBC1-F619-4DEE-8DD2-F6E08C35956B.jpeg

The sunset tonight.
A351DE85-E255-479E-8C8F-C4099F43C2A6.jpeg
EA47FC83-F833-4A57-9ACA-C3416DF41A39.jpeg

Had to leave you with a goofy cat picture again. Ella decided to go for a drive!
D0ABF00C-BFF9-42C9-A234-8C92D7CF044B.jpeg

goatgurl

Herd Master
Reaction score
i'll be anxious to see how your Holstein heifer grows out and how she looks with a hair cut. indy and emma are both growing nicely. beautiful sunset. I wish I could have a cat. I love seeing yours and their antics. where do you figure ella was planning to go.