What are your favorite goat treats?

SDGsoap&dairy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Frosted mini wheats! Perfect treat size. And one of our kids wants nothing more than to eat my hair. :/

goat lady

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
After we feed in the late afternoon/evening all my goats line up on the fence waiting for their animal cookies. But then after I finish feeding the other animals they come back over like to say "can we have another?" My question is how many treats do you give them? Right now I only give mine one per goat.

dianneS

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Animal crackers and the big ones will eat ginger snaps but the babies won't touch them! They eat pretzels too.

Goatzilla

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
If I were to give my goats only one animal cracker, I'm quite sure that they would bend their little hooves to form a "goat middle finger" at me.
goat lady said:
After we feed in the late afternoon/evening all my goats line up on the fence waiting for their animal cookies. But then after I finish feeding the other animals they come back over like to say "can we have another?" My question is how many treats do you give them? Right now I only give mine one per goat.

savingdogs

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Mine seem kind of picky and of the three, they seem to have different tastes.
I haven't tried the frosted mini wheats but they did not go for cheerios. One of the three seems to eat anything sweet, he likes crackers and raisins especially and animal crackers.
Our smaller female seems to only like grain as a treat. And our bigger female usually will try everything that her brother enjoys but lets it fall out of their mouth.
And they rarely ever pick anything up off the ground! The male will follow me around waiting for another while his sisters treats sit on the ground untouched!
I guess I'm still learning about goats!
:/

RockyToggRanch

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I have no idea how a 1/2 box of nilla wafers got into my cupboard:(
but my goats have a new favorite:) They were partial to horse cookies or sliced bread til now.

I also have a picky one that tastes everything before she eats it. She doesn't like carrots! or lettuce!

DonnaBelle

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I have been taking a pail of warm water with a Tablespoon of molasses in it to my goat girls. They really love it.

Also, mine love fresh apple slices.

DonnaBelle

the simple life

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Mine usually take a while to warm up to anything new except for today when they mugged my daughter of her banana.
So far they only like carrots, my son's homework and now the bananas.
My pygmy will push the back door open when the outer door is left open and walk into my kitchen and rip my kids' drawings, schoolwork etc. off of the refrigerator and walk out the door with it.

cmjust0

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
savingdogs said:
What do you feed as treats that is healthy for goats, especially wethers?
I'd suggest a handful of alfalfa pellets. We've played around with chips and crackers and that sort of thing, but it kinda gives me the heebs a little because who knows if there are any animal products in them. Feeding animal products to rumenates....probably not a great idea.

Alfalfa pellets, though, are appropriate for goats and especially appropriate for wethers due to their higher calcium/lower phosphorus content. If feeding as a treat, a 50lb bag would last an eternity.