What you didn't know -Share to help others

Bayleaf Meadows

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
What about deep bedding? Keep adding fresh over the soiled layers until spring clean out. Do you have 20 sq ft per goat?

Carla D

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
What about deep bedding? Keep adding fresh over the soiled layers until spring clean out. Do you have 20 sq ft per goat?
I had tried doing that up until about two weeks again when I had to clean out their quarters as quickly as possible. I had discovered that the smell of burning corn or burning hay that I’d been smelling for about a week was actually in the goat pen. I found some really hot smoldering hay in their pen. It took me 6 hours to remove all of it on my own. My goat are in an area that is roughly 10’x12’ which equates to them having about 15 square feet each. It isn’t ideal, but that is what we had available to use when we built their area last November. They were itty bitty baby goats at that time. We didn’t expect them to grow as fast as they did. We were thinking that that space would be more than adequate for them until spring when we could get them outside permanently. We are down to 4 straw bales to get us by until spring for bedding. We are also down to 8 or 9 hay bales for feed to last us until first crop bales became available from local farmers. We may end up using alfalfa pellets to get us by.

Daxigait

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
All right, can we get back to the point of this thread? For instance, it was someone telling her story about how she almost lost two of her bucks to anaphylactic reaction that enabled me to recognize an anaphylactic reaction in my doe Chaos in time to save her. I never thought I would see an anaphylactic reaction in a goat especially, to a vaccine that they had had before but I did. Unlike a lot of animals it's not usually a very quick or violent reaction they usually just go lay down and get lethargic because usually they drown in their own fluid in their lungs when they get an anaphylactic reaction. so it's really important to not do too many at a time so you can monitor them, it's important not to do multiple vaccinations at once,and it's advisable that you're able to observe them for a while because it is usually not immediate and is often subtle. Most vaccine bottle say to use them all at once since I don't always do that I draw them all into sterile needles and then seal those needles in a container. that may not be the best but I don't buy an entire bottle every time.
I now keep epinephrine on hand, or you can use dexamethasone. I just simply put a dose in my container that I'm taking out to do my goats. Like having antitoxin on hand in the spring for it's now a permanent part of my med supplies.

Chaos and I remind forever thankful to Karen for telling her story

Last edited:

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
Don't feed grain hay to bucks or wethers as a primary diet. Lost one to UC inspite of giving AC. The Calcium to phosphorus ratio is WAY off.

Goats can choke and die from alfalfa pellets.

Last edited:

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
I never thought I would see an anaphylactic reaction in a goat especially, to a vaccine that they had had before but I did

Like other allergic reactions, an anaphylactic reaction does not usually occur after the first exposure to an allergen but may occur after a subsequent exposure.

Daxigait

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Like other allergic reactions, an anaphylactic reaction does not usually occur after the first exposure to an allergen but may occur after a subsequent exposure.
Yes, from what I learned it's most often the second exposure.

Daxigait

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Yes, from what I learned it's most often the second exposure. So think booster.

Daxigait

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Yes, from what I learned it's most often the second exposure. So think booster.