What you didn't know -Share to help others

Daxigait

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
On my second lambing, I had twin lambs get chilled and unresponsive. I didn't know to warm them up before tube feeding them. I warmed them up afterwards. They died. I received good advice here on BYH, and I acted upon it, but the lambs had been too cold too long, I didn't know to warm them up ASAP. I just didn't know.

Then to compound the grief, their mother, my favorite ewe and big pet went down. Took her to the vet, she had Ruptured Pre-Pubic Tendon, everything was hanging down, her belly looked like a pot belly pig. She was struggling just to breathe. We had to put her down. I didn't know what it was and didn't recognize it before she lambed. Still couldn't have done anything about it, so I guess it was just as well.

https://www.backyardherds.com/threads/baymules-lambs-2nd-lambing.34888/page-8
Sorry, and thanks for sharing to help others. :hugs

Daxigait

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I’ve heard you, @Baymule , @B&B Happy goats , @babsbag . Thank you all. DH and I need to discuss this. I do appreciate your bluntness and candor.
You can cut your numbers/ you can try the shavings since you don't have straw as the pine bedding is less likely to catch fire than hay along with some sand and pdz. Both of which are available at most local farm stores.

Daxigait

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Don't feed grain hay to bucks or wethers as a primary diet. Lost one to UC in spite of giving AC. The Ca:p ration is WAY off.

Goats can choke and die from alfalfa pellets.
. :( In addition to what babsbag said also watch out for some places that use cereal grain in their grain. That is way off on the Calcium Phosphorus ratio too.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
:yuckyuck And oh so true. She also wishes she had known that goats were addicting.

Eteda

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Stall dry is good stuff. It has diatomaceous earth, charcoal and hydrated lime in it. It absorbs moisture and kills odor. However hydrated lime( hot lime) some call it will take care of odor and flies, nats etc in the muddy barn floor. About a quart or two per 12 x 12 area. Can be used under bedding also. About $10.00 hear for 50 lbs. good for top dressing dead stinky critters the Pyrenees drags up as trophy’s so you can get close enough to it to bury it. Works good in chicken houses, yards and out houses. Before hydrated lime they used ashes and charcoal in the out houses. Please air out shavings befor use. The strong smell of cedar or pine without adaquat ventilation causes respiratory problems just like urine and ammonia.

journey11

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score

This is the bloat video on how/where to puncture the gut. It took like maybe 5 minutes with little gentle rubbing until the air quit pouring out. I did give the baking soda and oil first before I tried this. She was down and not wanting to get up and breathing hard, so I felt it was necessary to go to this extent. I also gave her one simethicone chewable a few hours later as she still wasn't herself. She has gut sounds now, passed some more gas, and is up and walking at the moment, nibbling grass.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score

This is the bloat video on how/where to puncture the gut. It took like maybe 5 minutes with little gentle rubbing until the air quit pouring out. I did give the baking soda and oil first before I tried this. She was down and not wanting to get up and breathing hard, so I felt it was necessary to go to this extent. I also gave her one simethicone chewable a few hours later as she still wasn't herself. She has gut sounds now, passed some more gas, and is up and walking at the moment, nibbling grass.
It's good to see you here.