What you didn't know -Share to help others

journey11

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I used one epi myself the first time as it is all I had. I now have Epinephrine and Dexamethasone on hand and two doses ready anytime I give shots.

So glad she is well! Share to save!

I went back and looked at the label later. The expiration date was August 2013! :eek: It is a total miracle that it even worked. The fluid was still clear. I had always kept it in a dark cabinet. I knew it was life or death to try.

Daxigait

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I know :hugs I was terrified to give a human dose that time but it was all I had, and she was going to die without something so I hit her with it in the butt . I later learned from my friend who's a nurse that humans can give it every five minutes you don't want to give it any sooner for quite a while when they're trying to save someone.
The dose I have now for goats is very small you don't want to stop their heart.
I keep mine in my big backpack for backcountry hiking.

journey11

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I know :hugs I was terrified to give a human dose that time but it was all I had, and she was going to die without something so I hit her with it in the butt . I later learned from my friend who's a nurse that humans can give it every five minutes you don't want to give it any sooner for quite a while when they're trying to save someone.
The dose I have now for goats is very small you don't want to stop their heart.
I keep mine in my big backpack for backcountry hiking.

That would be wise, seeing as how you never know when you might stumble upon a hornets' nest. :confused: I thought my doctor was just paranoid, so I got tired of carrying mine, and the hundreds of dollars to buy a new one each year. I do carry Benadryl on me though.

The dose on my EpiPen was 0.3 mL of 1:1000th strength and altogether I gave her 2. I read online goats should get 1 mL per 100 lbs, right? She is 62 lbs, so I guess that came out just about right.

AmberLops

Herd Master
Reaction score
I raise Holland Lops and around 3 years ago something strange was going on in my rabbitry! They were doing really well and I didn't see any health issues at all. Then one litter I had (5 babies) were about 7 weeks old and I had them all together...one day I went to check on them and one of the babies was lying flat on the floor of the cage. I put my hand on her and she was cold but still breathing and still had a normal pulse, but she was paralyzed. I though maybe she was playing with her siblings and suffered a spinal injury (i'm a vet tech so that's the first thing that came to mind) so I humanely put her down to prevent any more suffering :( The next day I went to feed them and one of her siblings was in the same position as she was...with a pulse and breathing but paralyzed. I put him in a box with a heat mat underneath and gave him about 20 minutes. I tried checking for pain response but there was none. So I humanely put him down. Then a few days later, one of my sister's rabbits had the exact same thing!! I was stumped. I researched for DAYS trying to figure out what happened, with no luck. My sister didn't have the heart to put her bunny down, so she syringe fed her and wiped her down with a cloth. She still had normal urinary/bowel movements but couldn't move any part of her body. 2 days later, by some kind of miracle, she was back to normal! Hopping around, eating drinking and being a normal rabbit. Strangest thing I've seen. I still to this day have no clue what happened. But none of my other rabbits ever got this again. And one day I was watching an episode of Dr. K's exotic animal ER and someone brought in their rabbit with this exact same problem...they did all the tests and nothing came up positive for disease/viruses. They did bloodwork and x-rays and nothing showed up for severed spine/ruptured disks etc. They ended up euthanizing the rabbit after a week of tests. Any ideas on what this could have been? o_O:idunno Just seems so strange that it all happened at the same time like a virus but only a few rabbits were affected. It couldn't have been moldy feed or hay, because all the other rabbits were fine! Anyone else ever have this happen?

Wendybear

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Thank you so much for sharing. It doesn't matter if you're new. if you have some good advice about a situation that's helpful that's all that matters cuz there's always somebody newer than you or her or who has not seen the condition you are familiar with. I remember hearing about that long ago and forgetting I am so glad you mentioned it I will make sure that's in my cabinet for spring and summer. :)

How much did you give and how?
She was between 40 and 50lbs and the vet recommended opening 20 capsules in 30ml of water.

The second time, with my wether, I only had 10 capsules left, so I gave that in 15ml of water, but it did the trick bc he was eating and drinking within about 20 minutes and by the next day was doing his circle spins in the air. :)

I was fortunate bc I have 2 teenage daughters who are into natural skincare, so we usually have some around. They make face masks and other stuff with the charcoal. Lol

Wendybear

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
That would be wise, seeing as how you never know when you might stumble upon a hornets' nest. :confused: I thought my doctor was just paranoid, so I got tired of carrying mine, and the hundreds of dollars to buy a new one each year. I do carry Benadryl on me though.

The dose on my EpiPen was 0.3 mL of 1:1000th strength and altogether I gave her 2. I read online goats should get 1 mL per 100 lbs, right? She is 62 lbs, so I guess that came out just about right.
Wow! It’s that much? I don’t have $100s to spend on an epi pen either. How do you give the Benadryl?

journey11

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Wow! It’s that much? I don’t have $100s to spend on an epi pen either. How do you give the Benadryl?

The Benadryl is for me. :) Liquid for kids works faster than the pills. A doc at urgent care told me I could take up to 100 mg. Not saying this is the wisest thing to do if you have a bad allergy. I broke out in hives once from a wasp and that's why they gave me the EpiPen. I hope they've got a generic by now.

Daxigait

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
She was between 40 and 50lbs and the vet recommended opening 20 capsules in 30ml of water.

The second time, with my wether, I only had 10 capsules left, so I gave that in 15ml of water, but it did the trick bc he was eating and drinking within about 20 minutes and by the next day was doing his circle spins in the air. :)

I was fortunate bc I have 2 teenage daughters who are into natural skincare, so we usually have some around. They make face masks and other stuff with the charcoal. Lol
Thanks!

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have had dogs bit by copperhead snakes. While poisonous, their bite is rarely fatal. It is painful and the area around the bite swells up. We had a mini dachshund puppy about 6 months old get bit in the face one night. Her face swelled up. She was so small, her face swelled up so big, it was scary. We followed my protocol, giving her medicine every 4 hours for 3 doses and by morning she was much better and the swelling was greatly down.

My copperhead snake bite kit is Arnicare pills for pain. Give 4-6 pills, depending on size.

https://www.arnicare.com/

Arnicare is great stuff, we use it for arthritis, aches and pains, in the pill and rub on cream form. It isn't just for the dogs! LOL

Also in the copperhead snake bite kit is Benadryl in either liquid or pill form. The liquid seems to work faster, but they hate the taste, so sometimes it is easier to give the pill.

And baby aspirin. 1 baby aspirin every 4 hours.

Since we moved here 4 years ago, we've had 3 dogs get bit by copperheads. I give them the above medications every 4 hours, usually 3 times will do it, let them sleep it off and baby them for a couple of days and they are back to their bouncy self.

Symptoms are limping, swollen and painful (usually a paw). If a face is bitten, the head swells up.

Our male Great Pyrenees, Trip came in one night, limping. His front leg was so swollen that I couldn't find where he got bit. He didn't want me touching it, it hurt. I started him on my snake bite medicine every 4 hours, for 3 doses, until late at night, then I put him on the porch and we went to bed. I let him in the next morning and started over with the medicine. He got 3 more doses, sleeping in between. Finally he went outside to potty, got a drink and came back in. Trip slept in the floor and the swelling went down. His bite site was on the inside of his front leg, up near his chest. It left a hole about the size of a quarter. He licked and licked it, I did not treat it. The wound took a couple of weeks to heal.

Wendybear

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
The Benadryl is for me. :) Liquid for kids works faster than the pills. A doc at urgent care told me I could take up to 100 mg. Not saying this is the wisest thing to do if you have a bad allergy. I broke out in hives once from a wasp and that's why they gave me the EpiPen. I hope they've got a generic by now.
Oh, okay. Thanks for clearing that up. I thought you kept it on hand for your goats. Lol