When bulls come to "visit"

wynedot55

Old Bull
Reaction score
in short bulls know when wemen come into heat.an some bulls will go bonkers just like T-BONE did.so if i was you id not go around the bull when your in heat.

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Yes, some bulls will tell when you're menstrating. And it's best to stay away from them when you are. Have DH do the chores then.

jhm47

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Your pen will be fine for your herd and the bull. Just keep them fed well, and nothing bad will happen. Bulls rarely bother calves. The only time he might bother them is for dominance over a food supply, and the calves will quickly learn that he's the boss.

If your young bull calf rides a cow, and she lets him, she's likely in heat. Have you ever considered artificial insemination? With two cows, it would likely be cheaper than the feed and extra bother of borrowing a bull. Also, a bull used for AI would usually be gentically superior to a bull you might borrow. There should be people in your area who are trained in AI, and would be happy to help you out. This would eliminate the worry of inbreeding.

Thewife

Likes frogs
Reaction score
But if DH is gone...that's why I have you on my phone, thewife!
I asked Hubby if he's going bow or rifle, he hasn't decided yet. If he goes rifle, we will be unreachable on top of a moutain some where that week!

Kitty, even if it's not calving, stuff always comes up! I dropped Hubby off up in the hills, so he could hunt his way home. When I got home, I found our bull with wire wrapped all around his feet! Luckily Hubbys cell had a signal where he was, I don't mess with bulls!

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
thewife said:
I don't mess with bulls!
I don't either. If DH decides to get one he deals with it or I'll get the gun out and take care of the bull!

wynedot55

Old Bull
Reaction score
kitty thats why you dont have a bull running with tiestall cows.because they are trouble.

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
wynedot55 said:
kitty thats why you dont have a bull running with tiestall cows.because they are trouble.
That's why they usually are for the heifers on pasture. :gig

Latest posts