greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
It was several weeks before I found it. "Something" used it, but it wasn't me.
I used to have a picture of it (the skeleton) but it went 'poof' and rode the thunder when photo bucket did their ransomeware thing.

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
I think our deer are stupid. One couldn't figure out how to get out one time. We jist had that little corral fence, since taken down, but there is an opening at the end next to the woods to get in and of course the fence ends by the house and no fence along all the woods but it couldn't figure it out. I think it finally went out the little opening though. But I guess it didn't want to jump? And didn't think to go in the woods and go around? Cause it wanted to go directly across the driveway. It was young but still. Probably didn't last long given it was such a dummy.
https://www.backyardherds.com/threads/fawn-missing-mama-deer-forms-the-posse.38036/

kdogg331

True BYH Addict
Reaction score

MargaretClare

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I asked a similar question and I'm pretty sure you saw it but I'm leaning toward the cattle panels for my buck pen because I'm worried the bucks' weight will buckle any woven fence even with tightening. Here in Arizona, just the summer heats can stretch a fence. When I get around to redoing the does' pen I'll use woven sheep and goat fence.

What goat breed are you planning on getting?

Right now the does' pen is the cheap welded wire in parts so I'll take some current pics of it for fun later and you'll see why it's advised against.

Reluctant Farmer's Wife

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
One thing we did for our goats was to pick up a discarded metal road brush from a tractor at our county’s road maintenance department. The metal brush (Think of a baby bottle brush, on steroids!) The brushes are used to sweep up sand from the roads when winter snow and ice weather is gone. They didn’t mind not having to pay for the rollers to be dumped. It was free! They’re 3 ft in diameter and 7 ft long! The goats LOVE LOVE LOVE to scratch on it! We are SO HAPPY because the goats feel better AND our fencing isn’t destroyed by itchy goats! Yay!one

MargaretClare

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
One thing we did for our goats was to pick up a discarded metal road brush from a tractor at our county’s road maintenance department. The metal brush (Think of a baby bottle brush, on steroids!) The brushes are used to sweep up sand from the roads when winter snow and ice weather is gone. They didn’t mind not having to pay for the rollers to be dumped. It was free! They’re 3 ft in diameter and 7 ft long! The goats LOVE LOVE LOVE to scratch on it! We are SO HAPPY because the goats feel better AND our fencing isn’t destroyed by itchy goats! Yay!one
We have a couple of street sweeper brushes too. We're waiting to put up the new pens before we put them out for the goats. It's hard to get them here because one of the dairies in my area has a contract with the city to get all the discarded brushes. The two we have are from out of town.

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
t's hard to get them here because one of the dairies in my area has a contract with the city to get all the discarded brushes

Cattle producers, both dairy and beef, frequently reuse the sweeper brushes to make automatic insect repellent applicators---cattle walk between 2 brushes that are standing on end and the insecticide is applied to the animals' sides from neck to butt. They'll cut one down in length to make a roller to install horizontally to apply the same time down the animals' backs.

There are lots of plans online how to make them, but I don't think my county even has a street sweeper. Kinda hard or unnecessary to sweep gravel and iron ore roads...

MargaretClare

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Why you don't really want welded wire.
Any straight stretch of fence is fair game for rubbing. I don't know if you can tell by the pics but there's a large ditch in the ground from how hard they rub the fence.

To be fair though, this fence is three years old now and the only spot I've had to patch so far is that spot by the gate. We put it up when my first goats were little. We were too lazy to put up the right fence so we thought we'd get to it before they got big. Well those little ones got big, had more little ones and then those little ones had little ones.... yeah. But it held up surprisingly well to a herd of Boer mixes. :) 20181017_101623.jpg 20181017_095916.jpg 20181017_100119(0).jpg 20181017_100119.jpg

MargaretClare

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Cattle producers, both dairy and beef, frequently reuse the sweeper brushes to make automatic insect repellent applicators---cattle walk between 2 brushes that are standing on end and the insecticide is applied to the animals' sides from neck to butt. They'll cut one down in length to make a roller to install horizontally to apply the same time down the animals' backs.

There are lots of plans online how to make them, but I don't think my county even has a street sweeper. Kinda hard or unnecessary to sweep gravel and iron ore roads...
I have family that works at the dairy which is how we found out why we can't get the brushes here. I've seen how they mount them and it's really cool. They also sell huge brushes specifically for animal use on some farm supply sites.

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have 2"x4"x5' welded wire fencing here that has been up for a couple of years with only 3 goats and I'm not too far from having to replace it. There are several places that the welds have separated, but not in obvious areas that will allow the goats to escape....yet. If ya go to TS or anywhere that sells and put your fingers on the wires and compare that to the other fencing ya will be able to feel the difference and the difference in cost will become very apparent to ya. If, after that, ya still insist on the welded wire, then there are some steps to take to save yourself some heartache. First, be sure to put it up with the horizontal wires on the animal side of it. This is important, because it will place the welds on the opposite side that the animals will contact and allow ya to get longer use of the fence before having to replace it. Ya can also use electric wires to keep them off the fence. Something that I did before I knew the problems with welded wire is, I put boards up to absorb their rubbing and to support the fence. Here is a pic of what I did....IMAG3222.jpg
At the present, we are living in "limbo" and are not sure we'll be able to remain here, but if we do, then we will have to replace all the fencing before very long.....and surely will not make the same mistake again. In reality it is like comparing apples to oranges, because the difference in the gauge of the wires and the knots compared to the welds is what tells the difference between the fencing and the cost.
Also, ya may truly love watching the wildlife, but the reality is that they carry parasites that will certainly kill your goats and a cushion of separation can be a big benefit when it comes to the health and well being of your animals....a buck in rut can rip the welded wire fence and shred it fairly easily....especially when he is trying to shed the velvet from his antlers.....:)